• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• Scott Adams

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   04/24/2018

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What is Celiac Disease and the Gluten-Free Diet? What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
3 3
bridgetm

Becoming tolerant to wheat, but not barley, rye

Rate this topic

Hi all. These forums were incredibly helpful 10 years ago when I was discovering a gluten intolerance. I tested negative for celiac, but had already cut gluten from my diet 2 months prior to testing so the docs agreed to call it intolerance, plus severe reflux and IBS.

I ate strictly gluten free for about 8 years but began allowing small amounts by necessity (there were times I had no choice). When I tolerated small amounts I started experimenting with more. At this point I can handle bleached wheat flour (basic white bread when there are no other options), occasionally whole wheat, and I do best if I am eating a high amount of protein. It's a cumulative effect so if I have to "cheat" for a couple days I'll follow it with a week of clean eating. I definitely feel better eating completely gluten free and know I need to get back on that 100% but I still give in to convenience.

My question is, I know there are people who are allergic to wheat but tolerate barley and rye, then the gluten intolerant who have to avoid all three. But what about tolerance to wheat with intolerance of barley and rye? What is the immune system reacting to?

Barley and rye cause the same symptoms I originally had to all three (wheezing, headache, brain fog, abdominal pain/cramping, etc etc) and it only takes a small amount. Is the gluten protein more concentrated in those two?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

1 hour ago, bridgetm said:

Hi all. These forums were incredibly helpful 10 years ago when I was discovering a gluten intolerance. I tested negative for celiac, but had already cut gluten from my diet 2 months prior to testing so the docs agreed to call it intolerance, plus severe reflux and IBS.

I ate strictly gluten free for about 8 years but began allowing small amounts by necessity (there were times I had no choice). When I tolerated small amounts I started experimenting with more. At this point I can handle bleached wheat flour (basic white bread when there are no other options), occasionally whole wheat, and I do best if I am eating a high amount of protein. It's a cumulative effect so if I have to "cheat" for a couple days I'll follow it with a week of clean eating. I definitely feel better eating completely gluten free and know I need to get back on that 100% but I still give in to convenience.

My question is, I know there are people who are allergic to wheat but tolerate barley and rye, then the gluten intolerant who have to avoid all three. But what about tolerance to wheat with intolerance of barley and rye? What is the immune system reacting to?

Barley and rye cause the same symptoms I originally had to all three (wheezing, headache, brain fog, abdominal pain/cramping, etc etc) and it only takes a small amount. Is the gluten protein more concentrated in those two?

Celiac disease is an immune response.  Gluten intolerance is not.  You could be reacting to things like FODMAPS , something else, or not even really reacting.  An allergy is not just a bit of a stomach disturbance.  

as a Celiac, I can't imagine how a person would have " no choice" but to eat gluten.  This is a great example of why people should be diagnosed,  because without a Celiac diagnosis, they don't see the need to be gluten-free.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bridgetm said:

There is wheat allergy, wheat intolerance and celiac disease. Without the correct testing it is not possible to distinguish them. Different varieties of wheat, how it is cooked the state of your immune system (it can wind up and wind down), the health of your gut and lots of other things can effect how you feel and the reaction that you get. Some sourdough bread for example tests very low in gluten but shouldn't be eaten if you have celiac disease. 

The symptoms you mentioned match with celiac disease and I recommend considering that possibility very seriously. 

2 hours ago, kareng said:

Celiac disease is an immune response.  Gluten intolerance is not.  You could be reacting to things like FODMAPS , something else, or not even really reacting.  An allergy is not just a bit of a stomach disturbance.  

as a Celiac, I can't imagine how a person would have " no choice" but to eat gluten.  This is a great example of why people should be diagnosed,  because without a Celiac diagnosis, they don't see the need to be gluten-free.  

I expected a reply like this so I feel I should add: I do not take gluten intolerance or celiac disease lightly. It took two years to get a diagnosis for a myriad of gut symptoms, but that 'diagnosis' was more of a agreement to disagree on a cause and a decision to slowly add foods to my rice/chicken/applesauce diet until I regained a semblance of normal. 

Why play with it now? Years later, after unknowingly eating things I shouldn't have and then realizing I didn't react as expected, I wanted to see what I truly had to avoid and hoped that some of the past eliminations were desperate, unnecessary guesses. So here I am. 

I can eat a slice of white bread when I'm in the middle of nowhere with no Udi's in sight, but not a cookie that contains malted barley. Maybe some of my joint pain or chronic sinus inflammation would improve if I avoided that occasional slice of bread altogether, or maybe that pain is solely due to the injuries and the sinus inflammation is just a continuation of the respiratory problems I was born with. That's what I'm trying to figure out. 

1 hour ago, ch88 said:

There is wheat allergy, wheat intolerance and celiac disease. Without the correct testing it is not possible to distinguish them. Different varieties of wheat, how it is cooked the state of your immune system (it can wind up and wind down), the health of your gut and lots of other things can effect how you feel and the reaction that you get. Some sourdough bread for example tests very low in gluten but shouldn't be eaten if you have celiac disease. 

The symptoms you mentioned match with celiac disease and I recommend considering that possibility very seriously. 

I do consider it very seriously, that's how I got to this site years ago. The wheat vs barley reactions puzzled me though based on what I read when I first experienced symptoms. But what you said about immune fluctuations and form/varieties/prep makes sense.

I was planning to ask the doc to retest after being back on wheat/gluten but my insurance changed so I'm going clean and eliminating gluten again, but without being strict about cross-contamination like I was the first time around. Hopefully it will be the same improvement as the first time and I'll know what my boundaries are.

Ads by Google:

17 hours ago, bridgetm said:

I do consider it very seriously, that's how I got to this site years ago. The wheat vs barley reactions puzzled me though based on what I read when I first experienced symptoms.

bridgetm,

It puzzles me too.

I first thought it might be a frutan (FODMAP) issue and It still could still be.

Rye has high fructan levels.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09637486.2011.553588?journalCode=iijf20&

but it doesn't answer why barley specifically causes you (less) problems.

You might try a gluten free fructan source like garlic, onions, beans,, artichoke, asparagus etc. to see if they bother you the same way.

this article explains well the difference between fructan and gluten.

https://www.strandsofmylife.com/gluten-versus-fructans-in-wheat/

quoting

"The fructans are the carbohydrates, gluten is the protein, and it’s very possible that your digestive issues are caused by the fructans."

But shouldn't be the gluten content that is the difference because they all have gluten.

I hope this is helpful.

Posterboy by the grace of God,

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

3 3

• Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 924 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 05/21/2018 - Just a year ago, Starbucks debuted their Canadian bacon, egg and cheddar cheese gluten-free sandwich. During that year, the company basked in praise from customers with celiac disease and gluten-sensitivity for their commitment to delivering a safe gluten-free alternative to it’s standard breakfast offerings.
    But that commitment came to an ignoble end recently as Starbucks admitted that their gluten-free sandwich was plagued by  “low sales,” and was simply not sustainable from a company perspective. The sandwich may not have sold well, but it was much-loved by those who came to rely on it.
    With the end of that sandwich came the complaints. Customers on social media were anything but quiet, as seen in numerous posts, tweets and comments pointing out the callous and tone-deaf nature of the announcement which took place in the middle of national Celiac Disease Awareness Month. More than a few posts threatened to dump Starbucks altogether.
    A few of the choice tweets include the following:  
    “If I’m going to get coffee and can’t eat anything might as well be DD. #celiac so your eggbites won’t work for me,” tweeted @NotPerryMason. “They’re discontinuing my @Starbucks gluten-free sandwich which is super sad, but will save me money because I won’t have a reason to go to Starbucks and drop $50 a week,” tweeted @nwillard229. Starbucks is not giving up on gluten-free entirely, though. The company will still offer several items for customers who prefer gluten-free foods, including Sous Vide Egg Bites, a Marshmallow Dream Bar and Siggi’s yogurt.
    Stay tuned to learn more about Starbucks gluten-free foods going forward.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 05/19/2018 - Looking for a nutritious, delicious meal that is both satisfying and gluten-free? This tasty quinoa salad is just the thing for you. Easy to make and easy to transport to work. This salad of quinoa and vegetables gets a rich depth from chicken broth, and a delicious tang from red wine vinegar. Just pop it in a container, seal and take it to work or school. Make the quinoa a day or two ahead as needed. Add or subtract veggies as you like.
    Ingredients:
    1 cup red quinoa, rinsed well ½ cup water ½ cup chicken broth 2 radishes, thinly sliced 1 small bunch fresh pea sprouts 1 small Persian cucumber, diced 1 small avocado, ripe, sliced into chunks Cherry or grape tomatoes Fresh sunflower seeds 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar  Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper Directions:
    Simmer quinoa in water and chicken broth until tender.
    Dish into bowls.
    Top with veggies, salt and pepper, and sunflower seeds. 
    Splash with red wine vinegar and enjoy!

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 05/18/2018 - Across the country, colleges and universities are rethinking the way they provide food services for students with food allergies and food intolerance. In some cases, that means major renovations. In other cases, it means creating completely new dining and food halls. To document both their commitment and execution of gluten-free and allergen-free dining, these new food halls are frequently turning to auditing and accreditation firms, such as Kitchens with Confidence.
    The latest major player to make the leap to allergen-free dining is Syracuse University. The university’s Food Services recently earned an official gluten-free certification from Kitchens with Confidence for four of the University’s dining centers, with the fifth soon to follow.
    To earn the gluten-free certification from Kitchens with Confidence, food services must pass a 41 point audit process that includes 200 control check points. The food service must also agree to get any new food item approved in advance, and to submit to monthly testing of prep surfaces, to furnish quarterly reports, and to provide information on any staffing changes, recalls or incident reports. Kitchens with Confidence representatives also conduct annual inspections of each dining center.
    Syracuse students and guests eating at Ernie Davis, Shaw, Graham and Sadler dining centers can now choose safe, reliable gluten-free food from a certified gluten-free food center. The fifth dining center, Brockway, is currently undergoing renovations scheduled for completion by fall, when Brockway will also receive its certification.
    Syracuse Food Services has offered a gluten-free foods in its dining centers for years. According to Jamie Cyr, director of Auxiliary Services, the university believes that the independent Gluten-Free Certification from Kitchens with Confidence will help ease the anxiety for parents and students.”
    Syracuse is understandably proud of their accomplishment. According to Mark Tewksbury, director of residence dining operations, “campus dining centers serve 11,000 meals per day and our food is made fresh daily. Making sure that it is nutritious, delicious and safe for all students is a top priority.”
    Look for more colleges and universities to follow in the footsteps of Syracuse and others that have made safe, reliable food available for their students with food allergies or sensitivities.
    Read more.

Zyana Morris
    Celiac.com 05/17/2018 - Celiac disease is not one of the most deadly diseases out there, but it can put you through a lot of misery. Also known as coeliac, celiac disease is an inherited immune disorder. What happens is that your body’s immune system overreacts to gluten and damages the small intestine. People who suffer from the disease cannot digest gluten, a protein found in grain such as rye, barley, and wheat. 
    While it may not sound like a severe complication at first, coeliac can be unpleasant to deal with. What’s worse is it would lower your body’s capacity to absorb minerals and vitamins. Naturally, the condition would cause nutritional deficiencies. The key problem that diagnosing celiac is difficult and takes take longer than usual. Surprisingly, the condition has over 200 identified symptoms.
    More than three million people suffer from the coeliac disease in the United States alone. Even though diagnosis is complicated, there are symptoms that can help you identify the condition during the early stages to minimize the damage. 
    Here is how you can recognize the main symptoms of celiac disease:
    Diarrhea
    In various studies conducted over years, the most prominent symptom of celiac disease is chronic diarrhea.
    People suffering from the condition would experience loose watery stools that can last for up to four weeks after they stop taking gluten. Diarrhea can also be a symptom of food poisoning and other conditions, which is why it makes it difficult to diagnose coeliac. In certain cases, celiac disease can take up to four years to establish a sound diagnosis.
    Vomiting
    Another prominent symptom is vomiting.  
    When accompanied by diarrhea, vomiting can be a painful experience that would leave you exhausted. It also results in malnutrition and the patient experiences weight loss (not in a good way though). If you experience uncontrolled vomiting, report the matter to a physician to manage the condition.
    Bloating
    Since coeliac disease damages the small intestine, bloating is another common system. This is due to inflammation of the digestive tract. In a study with more than a 1,000 participants, almost 73% of the people reported bloating after ingesting gluten. 
    Bloating can be managed by eliminating gluten from the diet which is why a gluten-free diet is necessary for people suffering from celiac disease.
    Fatigue
    Constant feeling of tiredness and low energy levels is another common symptom associated with celiac disease. If you experience a lack of energy after in taking gluten, then you need to consult a physician to diagnose the condition. Now fatigue can also result from inefficient thyroid function, infections, and depression (a symptom of the coeliac disease). However, almost 51% of celiac patients suffer from fatigue in a study.
    Itchy Rash
    Now the chances of getting a rash after eating gluten are slim, but the symptom has been associated with celiac disease in the past. The condition can cause dermatitis herpetiformis, which causes a blistering skin rash that occurs around the buttocks, knees, and elbows. 
    A study found out that almost 17% of patients suffering from celiac disease might develop dermatitis herpetiformis due to lack of right treatment. Make sure you schedule an online appointment with your dermatologist or visit the nearest healthcare facility to prevent worsening of symptoms.
    Even with such common symptoms, diagnosing the condition is imperative for a quick recovery and to mitigate the long-term risks associated with celiac disease. 
    Sources:
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov  Celiac.com ncbi.nlm.nih.gov  mendfamily.com

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 05/16/2018 - Galectins are a family of animal lectins marked by their affinity for N-acetyllactosamine-enriched glycoconjugates. Galectins control several immune cell processes and influence both innate and adaptive immune responses. A team of researchers recently set out to assess the role of galectins, particularly galectin-1 (Gal-1), in the treatment of celiac disease.
    The research team included Victoria Sundblad, Amado A. Quintar, Luciano G. Morosi, Sonia I. Niveloni, Ana Cabanne, Edgardo Smecuol, Eduardo Mauriño, Karina V. Mariño, Julio C. Bai, Cristina A. Maldonado, and Gabriel A. Rabinovich.
    The researchers examined the role of galectins in intestinal inflammation, particularly in Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and celiac disease patients, as well as in murine models resembling these inflammatory conditions. 
    Maintaining the fine balance between host immunity and tolerance promotes gut homeostasis, and helps to prevent inflammation. To gain insight into the role of Gal-1 in celiac patients, the team demonstrated an increase in Gal-1 expression following a gluten-free diet along with an increase in the frequency of Foxp3+ cells. 
    The resolution of the inflammatory response may promote the recovery process, leading to a reversal of gut damage and a regeneration of villi. Among other things, the team’s findings support the use of Gal-1 agonists to treat severe mucosal inflammation. In addition, Gal-1 may serve as a potential biomarker to follow the progression of celiac disease treatment.
    Gut inflammation may be governed by a coordinated network of galectins and their glycosylated ligands, triggering either anti-inflammatory or pro-inflammatory responses. That network may influence the interplay between intestinal epithelial cells and the highly specialized gut immune system in physiologic and pathologic settings.
    The team’s results demonstrate that the anti-inflammatory and tolerogenic response associated with gluten-free diet in celiac patients is matched by a substantial up-regulation of Gal-1. This suggests a major role of this lectin in favoring resolution of inflammation and restoration of mucosal homeostasis. 
    This data highlights the regulated expression of galectin-1 (Gal-1), a proto-type member of the galectin family, during intestinal inflammation in untreated and treated celiac patients. Further study of this area could lead to better understanding of the mechanisms behind celiac disease, and potentially to a treatment of the disease.
    Source:
    Front. Immunol., 01 March 2018.  
    The researchers in this study are variously affiliated with the Laboratorio de Inmunopatología, Instituto de Biología y Medicina Experimental (IBYME), Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET), Buenos Aires, Argentina; the Centro de Microscopía Electrónica, Facultad de Ciencias Médicas, Universidad Nacional de Córdoba, Córdoba, Argentina; the Instituto de Investigaciones en Ciencias de la Salud (INICSA), Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET), Córdoba, Argentina; the Laboratorio de Glicómica Funcional y Molecular, Instituto de Biología y Medicina Experimental (IBYME), Consejo de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET), Buenos Aires, Argentina; the Sección Intestino Delgado, Departamento de Medicina, Hospital de Gastroenterología Dr. C. Bonorino Udaondo, Buenos Aires, Argentina; the Unidad de Patología, Hospital de Gastroenterología, Bonorino Udaondo, Buenos Aires, Argentina; the Instituto de Investigaciones, Universidad del Salvador, Buenos Aires, Argentina; and the Departamento de Química Biológica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    BAM

• Topics

• Thanks it helped alot  
    • Yes, tried enzymes but made my stomach burn terribly. I no longer have my gallbladder. Possibly the issue.
    • Hey fellow sufferer me too it's all from lectins..GMO lectins do same disruption to cattle and chicken too from their soy potato and corn legume based feed....I also get uti bad sensations hot urine and irritated bladder, lectins are bacteria from plants immune system Google lectins and Monsanto high lectin foods: soy wheat peanut corn tomato potato yep all of it I can't rely on gluten free foods has to be gluten-free and non GMO brain fog issues are neurotoxins from lectins etc too kind me 20yrs believing I had msg issues, wheat gluten etc...takes time but the GMO lectins disrupt our mucus layer in gut http://dysautonomia.com.au/lectins-3/
    • Hello all with these horrible pressure headaches I get all the exact symptoms and the nasty pressure points in my skull at the base and upper area. I get these associated when I'm glutened but it's actually from lectins and GMO foods. GMO foods are exactly the splicing of several plant lectins combined and all livestock ie chickens cattle have same issues with gut and yes it's in the meats too also Google meat allergy, I've a type o neg blood, I FRUSTRATEDINGLY DONT GO TO ANY DOCTORS OF ANY KIND OF WHICH THE WORD LECTINS PROBABLY ISNT ALLOWED ON THIS SITE..Google GMO LECTINS and MONSANTO..they take plant's lectins which are BACTERIA hence the flu like ill feeling, sweats, bad brain fog which is a neurotoxicity affect from lectins, my sinuses go hay wire!, muscles ache badly, eyes face, baggy eyes, major histamine release..I've had all the typical symptoms over yrs change...msg and sulphites, salycilates, amines..and the  immune systems so to speak for plants. My small intestine swells , and I'm glutened from tomatoes (sauce), potatoe and corn, wheat, SOY...all wang me out horribly. That's what lectins do naturally to animals the thwart being digested ...they disrupt our digestive tracts horribly..took me 20 plus yrs, I'm 46, to figure it out...GO TO A NUTRITIONIST..GMO LECTINS ARE WHAT MAKE WHEAT AND PEANUTS SOO ALLERGIC..IM SO FED UP AND DISGUSTED READING LOST PEOPLE MISGUIDED IVE NEVER POSTED ON ANY SITE BEFORE...currently I'm a dishwasher at a ruby Tuesday's..I used to be an aircraft mechanic for a major airline..my health and slowly went down hill. So very very recently I've discovered this, they're also blood type specific..where and how have I learned this...chiropractors also. One forum explained that a patient's Harvard educated G.I. specialist vaguely even heard of lectins. Thank you Monsanto and big pharma , also BT pesticide causes leaky gut too, it's designed to do same to catipillars too. I never believed it until my gut is now so sensitive my symptoms last for almost  a full seven day week. I just have to ride it out and take chamomile tea, organic $ brands using several tea bags and helps. Good luck to you all and leave no stone unturned in your journeys. Also look up psoriasis info caused by lectins too. i also simultaneously get uti symptoms ie bacteria from lectins, detox tea and fresh lemon flushes it out,... Soo all gluten free foods are using GMO ingredients corn starch, potato starch " modified food starch", etc etc so I can't and don't bother with shopping gluten free...read any and all Gluten Free labels..and compare non-GMO labels vs gluten free without GMO free label, most health and gluten-free bars are all soy, personally we're being scammed...this wont be posted I'm sure...why haven't I ever had a allergist explain this to me ..I'min the U.S., I've learned this from European, Australian, based nutrition sources online. Kristin.com to start  http://dysautonomia.com.au/lectins-3/ leave no stone unturned and do your own homework  
  • Blog Entries

• Upcoming Events