Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

2 2
J3ssica899

Anyone trust Smithfield brand pork?

Rate this topic

I have become so cautious about almost every food I eat. I bought a Smithfield pork loin (slow roasted golden rotisserie flavor) and it says gluten free but not certified. 

Was curious if anyone has eaten these and had no symptoms? 

I called them and asked what their gluten free protocols were and the lady seemed like she had no idea what I was talking about. I asked if it was made on a dedicated line or if they test for gluten and she seems confused which made me lose a little faith in the company. She did state that they "comply with everything to use gluten free labeling".. But that doesn't mean much because there are plenty of things that say gluten free that aren't. 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It should be safe (some celiacs with DH must be extra strict).    The USDA does a good job in making sure all agricultural and meat/fish products comply with the FDA guidelines.  So, you can be assured that it “meats” the 20 ppm criteria.  ? I based this on the Walmart website that showed the ingredients and that it is labeled gluten free.

I do not purchase these flavored pork loins because I have an intolerance to garlic and onion which is in so many things.  I just buy the plain ones and season with herbs and salt and pepper and grill it (or bake during winter).  

Enjoy it.  

P.S. Consider a subscription (about the price of Hulu or other online subscriptions) to the Gluten Free Watchdog.  It is like a Consumer Reports.  Instead of testing washing machines, the GFW tests products that can be labeled gluten-free or not (like a bottle of Tylenol).  The reality is very few products fail.  Like 98 or 99% meet label requirements.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter