Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

Hi, I’ve been really struggling to manage my symptoms of possible celiac disease and was just hoping for some guidance. (This is about to be very long so I’m sorry) 

Early December I had a bad fall and suffered some trauma to the head and was also under a lot of stress due to mock examinations. For a while I had been feeling fatigue but all of this was amplified after the fall and I was struggling to stay awake in lessons/ would just collapse after college. I was also having bad pain sometimes after eating and would get my worst fatigue after meals/ during the afternoon/ evening. I paid a visit to the GP and got some blood work done which came back low in iron and also high for celiac (very surprised but I do have a cousin with very bad celiac, been hospitalised etc). I got put on iron tablets and booked in for an endoscopy however this got cancelled due to the COVID-19 situation. 

My issue now is that my GP has advised to stay on the iron (I am starting my 5th month on 210mg 3x a day) and also keep eating gluten as we don’t know when my endoscopy will be as it could be a quick turn over (as in find out about it and then have it the week of) so we want to minimise chances of a false response. However I’m in such bad pain and so fatigue, my bloating is so severe I go up a dress size/ 2 and it’s like rock solid. My mum thinks I should cut out gluten for the foreseeable future to ease my pain. Just wondering if anyone can help with suggestions/ a bit of hope that things won’t stay like this. 

Many thanks

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi,

You don't need to eat a lot of gluten to keep the antibodies active for testing.  The equivalent of about a slice of wheat bread daily is enough.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter