This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Does The Bread Turn To Rubber?

skoki-mom

skoki-mom Explorer

I tried toast this morning. I haven't had toast in 6 months, and really it was more the jam I was after. So, I have some Kinnickinnik white sandwich bread, which I chipped apart with a knife because it was so stuck together, and threw it in my dedicated gluten-free-but-not-used-in-6-months toaster. The bread sort of curled up and didn't even turn brown at first. So, when it popped, I flipped the slices around and tried again. It toasted fairly well, but was pretty hard. Even though the outside was hard as a rock, the inside had this sort of yucky mushy texture, and overall it was just, well, rubbery. Did I do something wrong?? I had the same problem with the English muffins that so many of you like. Honestly, I'd rather hang onto my memories of what bread is supposed to taste like than eat this crap. So frustrating. I think I will go eat a spoonful of jam now..................

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular
Honestly, I'd rather hang onto my memories of what bread is supposed to taste like than eat this crap. So frustrating. I think I will go eat a spoonful of jam now..................

Amen, sister! :lol:

Butter and jam on a rice cake is quite good... :D

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

Pretty much, our bread just blows.

Try making some gluten free corn muffins. That's my favorite medium for jam :)

Susan123 Rookie

I toast Kinn. White sandwich bread every day so it isn't you it is rubbery. Your comments made me laugh hard!

BeccaM Rookie

Try the kinnickinik Tapioca Raisin Bread. It is delicious- and as a former baker I am REALLY picky about my breads!

It toasts up really well, and with some butter on it, it is just amazing.

Would make really great french toast as well.

I am so impressed with it after having such a horrid experience with Bob's Red Mill favorite bread mix- yuck- tasted like metal.

Have a great day everyone!

-Becca

• 2 weeks later...
glutenfreebaker Newbie

Am I the only one who can make gluten free bread that isn't rubbery, mushy or otherwise icky?? I hear a lot about kinnickinik brand gluten free products. They aren't the only company that makes gluten free stuff. Trader joes makes brown rice bread thats excellent I microwave it for 30 seconds with a few drops of water on it and it tastes and feels like wheat bread.

I even make my own bread that tastes excellent and its not from a mix.

Cheri A Contributor
Am I the only one who can make gluten free bread that isn't rubbery, mushy or otherwise icky?? I hear a lot about kinnickinik brand gluten free products. They aren't the only company that makes gluten free stuff. Trader joes makes brown rice bread thats excellent I microwave it for 30 seconds with a few drops of water on it and it tastes and feels like wheat bread.

I even make my own bread that tastes excellent and its not from a mix.

So what's your recipe/secret....??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ilstate Newbie

Bread had been the most frustrating part of being gluten-free for me. I have probably tried ten different kinds. I finally found some premade bread that works. It seems like alot of them have to be toasted just to be useful. For toast, I use Ener-g Tapioca bread. It tastes just like regular people toast. For sandwiches, I used the Tapioca light. It tastes just like regular white sandwich bread and doesn't have to be toasted to be edible. I was so happy when I found it.

Brandon

ladylibrarian Newbie
Bread had been the most frustrating part of being gluten-free for me. I have probably tried ten different kinds. I finally found some premade bread that works. It seems like alot of them have to be toasted just to be useful. For toast, I use Ener-g Tapioca bread. It tastes just like regular people toast. For sandwiches, I used the Tapioca light. It tastes just like regular white sandwich bread and doesn't have to be toasted to be edible. I was so happy when I found it.

Brandon

Do you order your bread on line or are you lucky enough to have a store

close by where you can buy your bread? I do not have a store near me

to buy any of the gluten free products. We have Whole Foods but it takes

us and hour and half to get there. Is it cheaper to order on line what about

the shipping charges. I don't know what is good and what is not. I was

diagnosed December 2005.

Ladylibrarian

Amen, sister! :lol:

Butter and jam on a rice cake is quite good... :D

What kind of Rice Cakes do you use that are Gluten Free. Quaker Oats

Rice Cakes have Gluten.

Rice Cakes have Gluten.

I use lundberg rice cakes (definitely gluten-free), jif peanut butter, and Bama jam (only available in the south)

ilstate Newbie
Do you order your bread on line or are you lucky enough to have a store

close by where you can buy your bread? I do not have a store near me

to buy any of the gluten free products. We have Whole Foods but it takes

us and hour and half to get there. Is it cheaper to order on line what about

the shipping charges. I don't know what is good and what is not. I was

diagnosed December 2005.

Ladylibrarian

Rice Cakes have Gluten.

I used to have to go to a local health food store to get the Ener-g tapioca bread. But now one of our three Kroger stores carries it. As for the Tapioca light bread, I have to get it online. I believe, but may be off a bit, that it was like 17 dollars for a case of six loafs. The downside is that shipping was like five/six dollars and it takes took ten days to get here. What state are you located in? sometimes you can find gluten-free products at regular stores.

ladylibrarian Newbie
I used to have to go to a local health food store to get the Ener-g tapioca bread. But now one of our three Kroger stores carries it. As for the Tapioca light bread, I have to get it online. I believe, but may be off a bit, that it was like 17 dollars for a case of six loafs. The downside is that shipping was like five/six dollars and it takes took ten days to get here. What state are you located in? sometimes you can find gluten-free products at regular stores.

I live in the Eastern Part of North Carolina. East of Raleigh North Carolina

Where do you live?

ladylibrarian Newbie
I use lundberg rice cakes (definitely gluten-free), jif peanut butter, and Bama jam (only available in the south)

Where do you get Lundberg Rice Cakes and are they as good as the

quaker oats cakes. I use to get the plain.

ilstate Newbie
I live in the Eastern Part of North Carolina. East of Raleigh North Carolina

Where do you live?

Right Smack dab in the middle of Illinois (Bloomington Normal). I'm lucky. There a few stores within thirty minutes of here. Is the whole foods place you go to the one in Morrisville? I also noticed that there are 4 or five Krogers in Raliegh. We are a smaller city (120,000) and have only three Krogers. One of which has four kinds of bread, flours, cookies, frozen meals and pizza, cereal and other stuff. You might want to call them. They are usually located in the Organic section. Also, how far are you from the research triangle? I would think that with Wake, Duke and Carolina all so close, there would be a few "organic" stores. They should have some stuff.

Where do you get Lundberg Rice Cakes and are they as good as the

quaker oats cakes. I use to get the plain.

Healthfood stores generally have them, and I get the plain. I actually like them better than Quaker rice cakes, they're heartier and have a good texture. I get them either at Whole Foods or Wild Oats/Sun Harvest

Open Original Shared Link

Hope that helps! :)

Archived