Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

2 2
Ldncrad

Trouble finding words

Rate this topic

Has anyone had trouble finding words as a symptom of celiac? On a few occasions, I have found myself able to describe the word I’m looking for, but unable to come up with the word in the moment & it freaks me out! It will usually come to me later, but under pressure, I can’t retrieve it. I have tons of other celiac symptoms along with hashimotos. My doctor didn’t want to retest for celiac, as I had a negative test about 10 years ago.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Oh my!  Consider getting a new doctor.  Celiac disease can develop at anytime!  As someone with Hashimoto’s (I was diagnosed in 1997), you should be screened periodically, especially when symptoms develop.  Also, you need to see which celiac tests were given to you.  In my case, I test oddly.  If my GI has not ordered the entire celiac panel, my diagnosis would have been missed.  Not to mention that some celiacs (about 10%) are seronegative (that could have been you!).

Your current issue? Possibly Brain fog.    It affects many with autoimmune disorders.   

Do not get stuck in the Hashimoto’s diagnostic box.  Once you have one autoimmune you can develop another (I have three!). Seriously, I think I had celiac disease long before my Hashimoto’s diagnosis.  Once diagnosed with celiac disease, my enlarged thyroid went back to normal size and my nodules disappeared.  Unfortunately, the damage was done and I must take thyroid hormone replacement for the rest of my life.  

If you need to get retested, please make sure you have been consuming gluten for at least 6 to 12 weeks.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter