Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
2 2
Anniefin

Can the stomach still indicate celiac disease if I’ve been gluten-free for 4 months?

Rate this topic

Can the stomach still indicate celiac disease if I’ve been gluten-free for 4 months?

I removed gluten from my diet 4 months ago but I’m only now having the endoscopy and colonoscopy, today actually.

I’m wondering, though: can the biopsy even show celiac if I’ve been gluten-free for 4 months? I’ve been strict no gluten since June 3. Mostly lactose and oats free as well as they seem to trigger symptoms however less severe. 

I vaguely recall that back in June I asked my gastro doctor whether the test could show celiac disease if I’ve been gluten free all this time, to which she said or suggested I could eaten gluten if I could tolerate it before the Endo/colono, but I really really can’t make myself intentionally that sick (thought of doing so almost brings tears). I’m realizing this might? infer? that the stomach heals quickly and if there was any celiac disease damage, it may not be there any more. 

Backstory...

3 months into recovering from covid I went gluten free. At the time most covid symptoms were improving except for all the symptoms connected to my stomach, and when I ate:  extreme diarrhea, joint pains where I couldn’t walk, hold a cup, etc, extreme stomach pains that I could only curl up and wait to subside.  I did the blood test to check for signs of either ibd or celiac - but the tests only showed extreme inflammation, some vitamin deficiency, and a few other extremes. That’s when I began gluten-free (and lactose, oats, and anything else that triggered symptoms). Finally, today, I am having my endoscopy and colonoscopy to hopefully, maybe, confirm celiac disease... but can the biopsy even do this if I’ve been gluten-free for 4 months? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Fast response...your results are most likely going to be negative.  Does your GI know that you have been gluten free for four months?  You need to tell him or her.  This is critical!  

All celiac disease testing requires you to be on a full gluten diet.  

Make sure they rule out Inflammatory Bowel  Disease.  If you are extremely lucky, they might find celiac damage.  But the small intestine can heal fast.  Who knows if you are a fast healer or not?  And even though people think they are good at avoiding gluten, it can be hard to do so.  But in your case, I assume you have been home and not eating out where most gluten exposures occur.  

But if you felt better on the diet, then you have your answer, you have gluten issues and you just might not get a diagnosis.  Maybe this is just COVID 19 related.  About 10% are considered to be long-haulers.  

I hope you find answers!  Being sick is awful.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed