Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
4 4
Natasha Rose

Old Coeliac, new issues? Milk related?

Rate this topic

Hi all!!   ( please be aware this thread is  a bit gross!)

I have been a diagnosed coeliac and following a gluten free diet for the last 11 or so years. 

Recently, Ive begun to have some issues with my stools ( sorry for the overload of information ) mostly, floating, hard to flush  but of a normal colour. Dr has run bloods on my pancreas to check its function levels and it came back normal so she is guessing that itis coeliac related. I have never avoided lactose on my diet  but it was brought to my attention by a pharmacist that this could be the cause for the issue?? 

Has anyone else found this?!

Thanks in advance! 

Nat

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Natasha,

Certainly lots of people with celiac disease have problems with dairy, especially lactose.  But, people who don't have celiac also can have problems with dairy.  It's not super unusual that they do.

The nice thing is you can get Lactaid pills at the grocery store and try them.  if they help then lactose intolerance may be the problem.  if they don't help then something else maybe causing the issue.  In that case I'd suggest getting some Betaine HCL with pepsin to try.  Betaine HCL produces stomach acid when taken.  So it can help with digesting proteins.  Our stomachs normally produce acid but it declines as we age.  And the acid production can decline for other causes too.

If neither of those help I'd hit the doctor up for gallbladder testing.  The liver makes bile to help digest fats.  If the gall bladder isn't working 100% the bile isn't pumped into the small intestine efficiently and the fats don't get digested right.  That can cause floaters.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

I would re-check your diet to be sure that it is really 100% gluten-free, as your symptoms do sound very close to what happens when some celiacs eat gluten. I'd also keep a food diary to see if there is any connection to other foods that many celiacs can be intolerant with, for example oats, eggs, corn, soy, nightshades, etc. You may need to do an elimination diet to figure things out.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Thanks for the replies! 

Ill get food diary going to see if i can suss it out. I am the only coealic in my house so the only one on a gluten free diet so cross contamination can be an issue...

I had hernia surgery recently and they had to do a CT scan prior toit. GP checked that when I went to her about this issue and said that the gallbladder looks clear thankfully! wil ask her for a blood test if it continues though! 

"I am the only coealic in my house so the only one on a gluten free diet so cross contamination can be an issue..."

We had to take the whole house gluten-free after my challenge. I also have issues with corn (particularly starch) and cow milk based products.

I hope you are able to figure out if as dc says above you just need some enzymes or if you need to eliminate it. Either way hope you get comfort soon