Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Goat cheese? M'ah'hh'hh, I can't do this!

Rate this topic

Please for the love of goat someone tell me how to make goat cheese edible?! Someone suggested I put it in rice pudding to give it a cheesecake flavor and it tasted exactly like it had just come back up, not that it was on its way down! 😱🤢😓

I never ate much regular dairy to begin with, but my goat cheese experiment is not going too well. I read recipes explaining how "creamy" it is but what I currently have in my fridge probably scaring the produce is a tiny wedge that tastes like tart, tart cream cheese.

Been at this 20 years. The usual. 🙃

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It takes some training to get used to it. I wasn't a big fan of it until I got past 40, but now love it. 

One thing I know, at least here in northern California, there are dozens of goat and sheep's milk cheeses and other products available, and there are some I've had that are much smoother and less sharp. Perhaps read through this to see if you can find one that sounds better than what you have been eating?

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/04/essential-goat-milk-cheese.html 

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Have you tried sheep cheese? My son likes sheep cheese better than goat. Perhaps it is worth a try.

Thank you both for trying to assist, I think my issue might be the type I bought.

The link shared is so on point! The little test cheese I have is very fresh, better for my MCAS because the less aging = the less histamine issue, but according to the 🐐🧀 experts it's SUPPOSED to taste "like that" when it's fresh and basically only a cheese fiend would be able to enjoy it. Chevre improves the longer it's aged, it says.

Awol I'm not sure I've ever even seen a sheep around these parts, let alone the cheese from one! 🐑🐑🐑

I wish my usual non-dairy cheeses weren't always sold out. But I was thinking 1 - 2 ingredient fresh natural cheese, if I didn't react to it, is better than fifty random ingredients thrown together trying to imitate it. But as far as I know, I didn't react poorly to goat cheese so I will buy some goat milk next and see how that goes. Although that, too, is now always sold out. The alternatives used to be the only items left on the shelves, I guess I'll have to wait until Spring when all the fad dieters give up their resolutions and let us sick people have our food again! If that sentence makes me sound bitter, it's the goat cheese talking :rolleyes:

Been at this 20 years. The usual. 🙃