This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Can't Celiacs D?

mart

penguin Community Regular
Actually Lutherans believe the same thing as Catholics on that point!

I know, I went back and edited it because I forgot to mention it...sorry! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MallysMama Explorer
The difference is in the word symbolism. Many churches believe that the wine and the bread used during communion are a symbol of Christ's body and blood. However some churches (Catholic and Lutheran) believe that the bread and wine used during communion ARE Christ's body and blood. Because of this they have much stricter rules about what can be used for a communion host. In order to be considered acceptable it has to be unleavened wheat bread, I guess because that is what was used in the first communion. Likewise, only wine will do too...no grape juice.

Actually Lutherans believe the same thing as Catholics on that point!

Hmmmm....that's really interesting. Thanks for answering the question. I learned somethin new today! :) I'm glad to hear that some priests allow it more than others....especially when it's such a big deal.

Corinne - I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles with rice and corn too. That stinks! I'm not good right now - I take the regular bread every sunday...I try to get the smallest piece. I'm sure it's okay to just not take it - because the Lord knows the reasons and understands. That's something I struggle with - is taking that small peice of sacrament every Sunday going to really hurt me - or will I be "protected" from that little bit of gluten because of what it symbolizes? Am I having Faith or just being stupid!? ;)

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I would say that I am spiritual, but not religious...and this not allowing a gluten-free communion is a good indication of why I'm not religious. Wouldn't God WANT you to be healthy, wouldn't God, being a good Christian (whatever that is), allow you to consume whatever communion cracker/wafer/bread is safe for you to consume? It's the guys who say they are representing God who are not allowing this, and that's what's wrong with the whole thing. Too many guys in black robes saying they know what God wants, and what God's rules are and that, to me, is wrong. I'm sure that your God wants you to participate in a way that will not harm you and that's what the priests need to figure out before the Church population dwindles to nothing.

Also, I've been in the middle of too many religious debates, and seen a lot of racist, narrow-minded "good Christians" to try to understand all this. I'm not trying to start a debate, just saying that my God is no better or worse than your God, or the God in China, or the Middle East, or Africa, or Australia, or wherever. Getting off my soapbox now.

cgilsing Enthusiast
Hmmmm....that's really interesting. Thanks for answering the question. I learned somethin new today! :) I'm glad to hear that some priests allow it more than others....especially when it's such a big deal.

Corinne - I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles with rice and corn too. That stinks! I'm not good right now - I take the regular bread every sunday...I try to get the smallest piece. I'm sure it's okay to just not take it - because the Lord knows the reasons and understands. That's something I struggle with - is taking that small peice of sacrament every Sunday going to really hurt me - or will I be "protected" from that little bit of gluten because of what it symbolizes? Am I having Faith or just being stupid!? ;)

Your not being stupid at all! That very question plagues church leaders around the world! :lol: If your church doesn't mind though I would bring some rice bread as a substitue! It's just my belief, but I don't think God would mind that much ;)

MallysMama Explorer
Your not being stupid at all! That very question plagues church leaders around the world! :lol: If your church doesn't mind though I would bring some rice bread as a substitue! It's just my belief, but I don't think God would mind that much ;)

No, I don't believe He minds it at all! :) I just dont' like being different (if you haven't noticed reading any of my other posts..haha)....so I don't want to bring my own bread and have everyone look at me strangely. :ph34r::) I've only been in this ward (our church is divided by area - so there are many wards... if I moved a couple miles away I'd be in a different ward.. get it?) for like 6 months...and I don't think ANYONE knows about me not being able to eat wheat. It's not something I like to announce or get attention from (outside of this website. haha!). So - I'll probably just eat that bread or not eat it at all.

2Boys4Me - I totally agree! :)

Nancym Enthusiast
However some churches (Catholic and Lutheran) believe that the bread and wine used during communion ARE Christ's body and blood.

So if you have a reaction to it... the implications are frightening! Oops, sorry for the irreverence. :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient

Nancy--That's it, exactly--it flies in the face of the most fundimental Church doctrine. For the record, I am a Catholic.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

cgilsing--what "type" of Lutheran are you? :P I am Lutheran also....my family is ELCA but we also have Missouri Synod in our extended family. :)

cgilsing Enthusiast

I'm Missouri Synod! Really I'm not sure how many Lutheran denominations there are....ELCA and Missouri Synod are the only ones I'm familiar with! :P

happygirl Collaborator

Those are the "main" two in the US. I have been to 2 ELCA churches since diagnosis (home church and new church) and 1 Missouri Synod church (grandma's....and we aren't technically supposed to commune there bc we aren't Missouri Synod but they let us) and all of them have been wonderful! Makes me feel very blessed!

cgilsing Enthusiast

I was raised in Missouri Synod Lutheran churches! We belonged to one church while I was little and I went to a Lutheran school that was run by 5 other Lutheran churches and then about 10 years ago we switched to yet another Lutheran church! The funny thing is that we started going to Lutheran church because the Lutheran school was the only one that had a bus that went to my daycare afer school! :lol: I've had a lot of religous instruction over the years, but I really think what it comes down to is what you are comfortable with and what you believe in your heart. For me the Lutheran church is perfect. I have come in contact with so many loving wonderful people through the church! I am blessed as well to find such a truely caring community.

Lisa Mentor

I would just like to say that being raised Catholic, I understand the topic. I feel stongly that the laws of the church were designed by men, not God. Your faith is yours and attending church and not recieving communion, in my thought, does not deminish your faith or make you different. I have seen too many good Catholics recieve communion and stab their co-workers or employees or clients in the back when they were not watching. Your faith is internal and not recieving a host does not make you a lesser Catholic.

With that being said and I hope I did not offend anyone, we can start a new thread about sex (oops we already did that) or politics.

But I would rather get back to the thread as it began.

"A Celiac could not be a Catholic Monk, who bakes bread, drinks beer, wears maybeline mascara and who works in a Twinkie Factory for his secret pizza fettish." :P:P

Lisa

jerseyangel Proficient

Ha Lisa--that was beautiful! :D

Jnkmnky Collaborator

The Catholic Church is hung up on "tradition" in place of common sense and compassion. (Hello! I'm Catholic.) There is a traditional recipe for the host which as of today, is more important to the leadership of the Catholic Church than the actual Commandment to "do this in memory of me." My stance on this is simply that Jesus wasn't hovering over a bowl, mixing flour and water together when He said that.... Jesus also states, "I desire Mercy and not Sacrifice" at some point in the bible. The Catholic Church is not, imo, showing mercy towards it's Celiac members, but instead, is requiring sacrifice. I know the wine is supposed to be an acceptable alternative, but the very wording on how to deal with Catholic Celiacs states... and I quote.... "In order to avoid scandal......." The fact that the way to deal with Celiacs is to "avoid scandal" reveals that the Catholic Church is less interested in Mercy, Compassion, Inclusion, Love, etc, than protecting the "sanctity" of a supposed recipe. It's shameful on the part of the Leadership of the Catholic Church to deny Celiacs a gluten FREE (not Lite), host in order that they may participate fully in Communion. I like to joke that we were all invited to the supper... not just for drinks.

Btw, if a Priest accommodates a Celiac with a gluten-free host, it's invalid.

There's also another part in the Bible where the Apostles are eating food with unwashed hands and someone points it out to Jesus saying they should wash their hands... Jesus tells the person that it's not what goes into a man that is bad, but what comes out of a man that can be bad. So, following the logic of Jesus, (who comes across as very reasonable to me) the host containing gluten or not is a NON issue.

I've debated becoming a Lutheran.... but I really like my Saints! :lol:

I just read that one poster in the thread doesn't like this discussion... Is that because it's possible to disagree about various points? I'm just curious. I don't like the idea that a discussion can't evolve without disolving into a dispute. Maybe this board needs a section where people can discuss topics where strong opinions can be expressed? Maybe a section where we could discuss our negative feelings, our outrage, our hope, our dismay... and actually disagree with one another? Religion, politics and sex shouldn't be off limits for adults to discuss. Celiac Disease limits religious participation for some, limits jobs for some, and has an impact on sex (for various reasons - whether you need to know the safty of a certain ingestable product, or a pill or a coating on a condom or whatever a celiac may need to know.)

Again, I'm just wondering why we have to stay on topic. It's the nature of discussion to move along various points being made. It's much more interesting to be involved in an active discussion rather than a stifled one where stop signs and roadblocks are being erected due to sensitivites and fear.

Lisa Mentor

Okay, I agree. But the person who began the thread wants answers to his questions.

What I would suggest that you start a new thread in anything but Celiac Chat Thread and we can go for it.

Believe me, being raised Catholic, I have plenty to say, but I may reserve my opinion because it may be offensive to some of the people I care about. I have very strong and heartfelt convictions. I know where I am and what I stand for. I believe what I believe, and trust me, I am most likely in the minority amoung people that are close to me. I keep it to myself as I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable or to begin a challenge.

As you see the world around you and watch the news daily, religion.....well, what more can I say as you watch the footage in Iraq, Afganistan, China, Iran, Alabama.

Lisa

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Okay, I agree. But the person who began the thread wants answers to his questions.

What I would suggest that you start a new thread in anything but Celiac Chat Thread and we can go for it.

Believe me, being raised Catholic, I have plenty to say, but I may reserve my opinion because it may be offensive to some of the people I care about. I have very strong and heartfelt convictions. I know where I am and what I stand for. I believe what I believe, and trust me, I am most likely in the minority amoung people that are close to me. I keep it to myself as I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable or to begin a challenge.

As you see the world around you and watch the news daily, religion.....well, what more can I say as you watch the footage in Iraq, Afganistan, China, Iran, Alabama.

Lisa

I would love to discuss it with you. I think the Anything but Celiac thread wouldn't be appropriate because the subject really is all about Celiac disease and the people with it.... I'll look around....

VydorScope Proficient

I have held my tounge (okay fine I have delete posts) on this topic for one reason, I undertstnad Scotts job becuase I too run a ver active forum.

The problem is ANY time you start a thread that invovles religion or politics it breaks down FAST. I have seen it destroy entire communities more then once. Its a real problem that has no good answer.

This is why most communities limit dicusion on it, with varing degress of success/strickness.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I started a thread.... Love and respect for all. WE CAN DO IT!!! :)

Open Original Shared Link

GO Here^^^^^^^^^^^^

Disagreement doesn't equal disrespect. :)

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Okay, to make us ALL happy, they need to start making gluten-free matzah AND gluten-free commmunion wafers! After all, isn't that where the communion wafer came from? The Last Supper was a Passover Seder....

What would happen if His Holiness, the Pope were diagnosed with celiac? Would they excommunicate him--or change the ruling on gluten? (I mean no disrespect here--apologies in case I've offended anyone!)

tarnalberry Community Regular
I work for a defense contractor, and I could not be sent overseas because they could not feed me. :) Darn. (at least that is the way now.....if a pill comes out and I wanted to go, that would be a different story)

You can still be sent overseas working for a private contractor - off base anyway. I've done plenty of business travel working in the defense business. If you were being housed on a base and not allowed to leave for security reasons, though, I could see that disqualifying you.

mommida Enthusiast

Lutherans believe that the bread and wine are changed to the body and blood through faith. Their faith in God. Catholics ( so I am told) believe the preist turns it into body and blood.

Back to the question...

Some chef schools make all students taste test all recipes. So I wouldn't think a Celiac could comply with the class rules.

Laura

VydorScope Proficient
Some chef schools make all students taste test all recipes. So I wouldn't think a Celiac could comply with the class rules.

Laura

I would have ot doubt that, what if you have a peanut allergy? Now your dead? :o Not a good thing for the school!

mart Contributor

I've learned a lot from your posts, thank you to all. But for those who said a thread on "religion" shouldn't have been started, my question did not even involve religion. I just wanted to know what jobs my son would never be able to do.

VydorScope Proficient
I've learned a lot from your posts, thank you to all. But for those who said a thread on "religion" shouldn't have been started, my question did not even involve religion. I just wanted to know what jobs my son would never be able to do.

With the execption of the Military, and certin religons, there are none that I can think of. Krispy Cream might not be a good plan, but that does not stop him from bing a backer at a dif place, heck even a gluten-free bakery. Just might have to look a little further if gluten is going to be involved thats all.

debmidge Rising Star

good question about occupations celiacs couldn't take.

pizza maker?

beer maker? don't they have to taste test it?

now I got to thinking about beautician because of the shampoos and conditioners that they put on their clients could have gluten in them....there has to be traces of the shampoos and conditioner on the hair and they touch the hair while they cut it....

factory workers at big bakeries like Drakes, Hostess, Little Debbie, etc.?

wheat, oat, barley & rye farmers? workers at same processing plants?

____

off topic:

I believe once I read that there are Lutheran nuns and while they don't have saints like Catholics, they do acknowledge that deceased believers are saints of the Church. Don't quote me...

Archived