This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New & Confused

katrinamaria

katrinamaria Explorer

hi!

i'm new to celiac and am pretty overwhelmed! im in my first year of college and i'm struggling with the dining centers (they are not very understanding). right now i'm surviving on fruits, veggies & corn tortillas.... (i'm also a lifelong vegetarian) so i'm seriously craving a real meal!! and people around me have never heard of this and i'm embarrased to say anything cuz i get that look like i'm totally making this up or something...

any help you can give me about any of these things would be great!!!!

thanks soooo much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

schuyler Apprentice

I'm pretty new at this too, so I don't know too much (sorry). I have been eating lots of rice and veggies (I'm also a vegetarian). I also like rice patsa and tapioca bread. Have you found any stores that sell gluten-free free foods? That's where I'd start (I go to Raleys and a local health foods store. I know that Trader Joe's and Whole Foods also have gluten-free foods). There are some online stores that have lots of things. I'm sorry that I don't have more info, but I just learning.

I'm also sorry about the dining centers not being understanding. I live at home, but on days when I have lots of classes I make sure to bring my own snacks (my school won't guarantee that any of the foods there are gluten-free, so I just bring my own). Again, I wish I knew more but I'm sure that some of the more experienced members will jump in an give you some more (and better) advice.

Good luck!

Danielle

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I am in my third year of college (and a vegetarian, too) but was diagnosed at the end of my senior year in high school. You might want to try making your own food before eating in the cafeteria. Your school, by law, has to make it so that you can eat- either by cooking in your room or providing help with cooks at the school. Don't take eating less than a real meal and demand your school give you what you deserve and are paying for. Things get much easier as time goes on and you will find people who care and understand what you're going through. Good luck!

Kristina

katrinamaria Explorer

thanks for your help guys!

i'll try to check out some health food stores around here. that's a good idea (finding them out here on the prairie might be a challenge tho!:)hahaha)

and i'll have to rally my parents or something to talk to the dining center people...they are just stupid because they charge you extra if they have to make special food for you (already poor college students...hello?!)

thanks for the advice!

lorka150 Collaborator

hey, i hear ya! it is really hard to get diagnosed in unversity (or college as you crazy americans call it! ha).

anyway, let me know if you need simple recipes and 'cheaper' products... i'm willing to give you a hand, and i totally feel your frustrations.

:)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I know how you feel. It's hard at first but believe me it gets so much easier as time goes by. Once you know what to look for and find the good brands it is not hard at all. This site is great to come to for information about it. You will come to realize that the diet is not as restricted as it may seem at first.

Archived