• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Mia H

Can Enterolab Really Tell Me If I Have Celiac?

Rate this topic

Hello, I'm pretty new here. I had my blood test results about a week ago and of course they came back negative. I have been on a low gluten diet for about a year and no gluten from nov-jan. I ate gluten for 3 weeks prior to the test but now I see that was useless and only made me sick and is slowing my recovery.

I have about 20 symptoms of celiac so I'm quite confident I have finally found my answer.

I really appreciate hearing about other people's bad experiences with Dr because I have felt like a hypochondriac or just plain crazy person for almost 20 years now, when all along I knew something was wrong with me.

My question is can enterolab tell me if I have celiac or just gluten intolerance. I know I'm going gluten free either way but it would help me mentally to stay gluten free in hard situations like eating out, eating at friends and family, doing it life long, giving up communion, etc.

And does anyone have any recommendations on getting the whole panel or just the smaller panel.

Thanks!

Mia

I have not used them, but many on here have. It is pretty quiet on the forum during the weekend, so have patience and someone will respond. My take on them is that they can tell you if you also have Celiac as long as it done within 2 years of being gluten-free. Welcome to the board.

They can tell you if you have a gluten intolerance, and they can tell you if you have the Celiac genes, or gluten intolerance genes, but they do not diagnose you with Celiac. They are a lab run by a doctor, but they do not give out a diagnosis, only test results. Some people have taken their results in to their doctor and gotten and official daignosis. But most people who get positive results from Enterolab just start the diet and forget about trying to get the diagnosis of Celiac, they just want to feel better. So it is a personal choice.

I found out from Enterolab that I have two gluten-intolerance genes and a gluten intolerance. I have no trouble avoiding gluten because of how sick it makes me ... like you, I got very ill from the gluten challenge, and if I think about that, I have no trouble staying away even without the celiac diagnosis.

I was off wheat for three years before my negative blood test, then did a 6 week gluten challenge, which was useless, for my endoscopy, which was also negative. I was gluten free for 2 months after my gluten challenge, and Enterolab still found that I was intolerant.

Thank you for your replies. It helps to have some imput for such a costly venture. But I know if I don't do it now, 5 years from now I will wish I had. And my health is worth everything now! I'm sick of being sick!

But I am very hopeful now that in several months I will be feeling better and in 6-12 I will hopefully be good as new.

Mia