• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Is yasmin birht conrtol glutin free am I safe... I took it already and than thought about it.. Its important.. someone tell me please.. sorry bout this

Sorry, I have no idea if it's gluten-free or not, but as far as general safety, I can tell you this: my husband is a PhD chemist, and when we first met, he told me there was no way he'd want me taking birth control pills--he didn't think it could possibly be healthy to mess around with one's body chemistry like that. He said if there were a birth control pill for men, there would be no way that he'd take it, so he couldn't possibly expect me to!

As it turned out, I was violently ill with all of my pregnancies (for the entire pregnancy), and with the first pregnancy, I had pre-eclampsia, which is very dangerous, so I certainly don't regret never having gone on birth-control pills! Of course, if you're on them to regulate painful periods, that's a different can of worms!

Can we please stick to the question at hand and not let this topic get out of control or discuss how bad or good birth control pills may be? Thank you.

Is yasmin birht conrtol glutin free am I safe... I took it already and than thought about it.. Its important.. someone tell me please.. sorry bout this

Your pharmacist is going to be the one to go to with this question. Give him or her a call or stop in and ask. He will also put the no gluten tab in your file for scripts but remind them anyway when you get a script filled.

Can we please stick to the question at hand and not let this topic get out of control or discuss how bad or good birth control pills may be? Thank you.

I believe the question at hand is the safety of birth control pills. There are other aspects of safety besides whether or not they contain gluten. Since so many of us have or will probably develop many immune system problems, then the safety of playing around with your hormones is most certainly relevant.

I was not talking about moral or religious opinions, but body chemistry and the immune system.

You should also call the manufacturer to verify the gluten status as the pharmacist may or may not be helpful. (I don't know off the top of my head - though most are gluten-free).

One interesting note, a recent study (past six months) has shown that *some* (not all) women experience significantly suppressed testosterone levels while on, and for at least one year (the length of the study) after coming off of birth control pills. I can't take pills because the hormones do not sit well with me (low testosterone levels, and other common side effects), and I'm not trying to scare anyone off of them - some people can deal fine with the alteration in hormones. But I don't think doctors keep their patients sufficiently informed of the spectrum of risks that are possible, so that a patient can be aware if one of the side effects pops up.

Yes, Yasmin is gluten-free. I take it, and have for a few years, and have had no problems with it. It makes my periods lighter too which is nice.

I didnt mean to upset anybody by asking the question. I just wanted to know if it was safe or was it going to make me sick. Im new to this so I have alot of questions. If you want to know I take them because I get violently ill vomitting migranes ect during that time of the month. Plus everybody is entitled to thier opinions and I take them openly and process everything. Thank you everybody for your imput. I also did tell my pharmacist to put the tabs and hes a good pharmacists so0o he will make sure all my meds are safe for me.. Thank you all.

it is not lactose free, so you might be reacting to that (although your reaction doesn't seem like an intolerance) if you are sensitive.

hope you feel better.