Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I want to make some bread and I can't find any recipes. I found one but they use dry milk in it and I can't have milk. What could I use instead of the dry milk? Or does anyone have any good recipes? I am also allgeric to soy and peanuts, so I can't have any bread with that in it.

Thank you!

Beth

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Beth -

This is my favorite recipe. No milk, soy, or peanuts. :)

True Yeast Bread/Pizza Crust - Adapted from Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet

3 C. gluten-free flour mix

1/4 c. sugar

3 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum

1 1/2 tsp. Salt

1/2 c. lukewarm water

1 1/2 Tbs. yeast

1/4 c. oil

1 1/4 c. water (Not too hot, or you'll kill the yeast. You want it to be about baby bath temperature.)

1 tsp. Rice vinegar

3 eggs

Mix flour mix, sugar, xanthan gum, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Dump yeast on top, but don't mix it in. Combine warm water, oil, and vinegar. Pour directly on top of the yeast and let sit for 5 inutes or so. (The yeast should bubble and foam a bit.) Turn the mixer on low, and mix well. Mixture should be slightly warm. Add the eggs, then beat on high speed for 5 minutes. Turn oven to 400 degrees.

For Bread: Spray pans well with Pam. Spoon into pans (or English Muffin rings), and let rise on oven as it heats (about 20 minutes). Bake loaf pan for about 35 minutes. Bake muffin rings about 20 minutes.

For Pizza: Spray 2 13x18 jelly roll pans with Pam. Place half of the dough on each pan. Spray the top of the dough with Pam, and press the dough flat in the pan. (Or just wet your hands with water to spread it.) You don't have to let it raise. Bake about 10 minutes (til top is golden brown). Remove from oven. Top with sauce, cheese, and toppings. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted - about 15 minutes. (For thicker crusts, use smaller pans.)

After it cools, cut bread. Refrigerate or freeze in ziplock bags. Reheat the number of slices you need in the microwave for 10 - 30 seconds (depending on your microwave).

Bette Hagman's gluten-free mix:

6 c. rice flour

2 c. potato starch (not potato flour)

1 c. tapioca starch

Beth -

This is my favorite recipe. No milk, soy, or peanuts. :)

True Yeast Bread/Pizza Crust - Adapted from Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet

3 C. gluten-free flour mix

1/4 c. sugar

3 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum

1 1/2 tsp. Salt

1/2 c. lukewarm water

1 1/2 Tbs. yeast

1/4 c. oil

1 1/4 c. water (Not too hot, or you'll kill the yeast. You want it to be about baby bath temperature.)

1 tsp. Rice vinegar

3 eggs

Mix flour mix, sugar, xanthan gum, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Dump yeast on top, but don't mix it in. Combine warm water, oil, and vinegar. Pour directly on top of the yeast and let sit for 5 inutes or so. (The yeast should bubble and foam a bit.) Turn the mixer on low, and mix well. Mixture should be slightly warm. Add the eggs, then beat on high speed for 5 minutes. Turn oven to 400 degrees.

For Bread: Spray pans well with Pam. Spoon into pans (or English Muffin rings), and let rise on oven as it heats (about 20 minutes). Bake loaf pan for about 35 minutes. Bake muffin rings about 20 minutes.

For Pizza: Spray 2 13x18 jelly roll pans with Pam. Place half of the dough on each pan. Spray the top of the dough with Pam, and press the dough flat in the pan. (Or just wet your hands with water to spread it.) You don't have to let it raise. Bake about 10 minutes (til top is golden brown). Remove from oven. Top with sauce, cheese, and toppings. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted - about 15 minutes. (For thicker crusts, use smaller pans.)

After it cools, cut bread. Refrigerate or freeze in ziplock bags. Reheat the number of slices you need in the microwave for 10 - 30 seconds (depending on your microwave).

Bette Hagman's gluten-free mix:

6 c. rice flour

2 c. potato starch (not potato flour)

1 c. tapioca starch

Thanks for the recipe, I will have to try it sometime. What is rice vinegar? Where can you buy it? Can you substitute anything for it?

Thanks!

Beth

You'll find rice vinegar with Asian foods in a well-stocked supermarket. But I often use cider vinegar in bread recipes & it works fine.

The Queen of Hearts,

She made some tarts

All on a summer's day.

The Knave of Hearts,

He stole the tarts

And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!