Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KellyR

Casserole Recipes

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm finding the short grain rices (the "sticky" kinds) to be excellent for casseroles. They add that creamy consistency all on their own. If instead you use a pasta such as Tinkyada, then I'd suggest either arrowroot starch or corn starch to get the creamy consistency. If your child can/will eat meat and dairy, then you could put in a bit of gluten-free sausage, some cheese, and some minced bell pepper and onion. Salt to taste and it's sure to be a hit unless your child doesn't like mac & cheese. As he/she becomes more familiar with such dishes you can add more things like veggies for better nutrient value. Spices like curry or cumin go well in these, but there are too many variations and preferences to start on that. Just use your imagination. That's one reason I suggested the sausage, because it adds a bunch of zest so it's easier to get a tasty result.

I generally would add veggies like corn, carrots, peas, etc. Broccoli works great in casseroles too, as does spinach and many others. Squashes are great too, just account for the extra liquid or you'll end up with a watery casserole. Fix that with a higher concentration of the thickening agent (starch).

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Kelly,

To combine Mike's idea and your progresso mushroom soup... I've always loved green bean casserole for Thanksgiving. Well, I recreated it pretty well using fresh green beans, Progresso cream of mushroom soup, and instead of French's fried onions (not gluten-free), I used Funyons (made by Frito Lay) on top - they're gluten-free! Sooo yummy! Make sure you broil it for a little bit at the end. You can also top with slivered almonds.

- Lauren

My kids have been liking Tater Tot Hot Dish (Casserole). Brown up some hamburger meat with your favorite seasoning and diced onions. Mix hamburger, green beans, corn or whatever veggie you like with the soup and top with tater tots. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

I second CheriA - that was my childhood casserole. Cream of mushroom soup, browned ground beef, frozen veggie mix (corn, greenbeans, carrots and peas) and tater tots on top. I made it the other nite and I browned up some hashbrowns for the top instead because I wasn't sure if the OreIda tatertots were gluten-free.

The progresso is a little bit thinner than the Campbell's cream of mushroom, but it still worked.

-Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

Wow, you have all enlightened me--I never bothered to check about Progresso's cream of mushroom soup or Funyons for that matter, but those are two things that I loved before diagnosis. I'm excited that I'll get to eat these things again. Here in PA, it's really starting to get to be hot casserole weather.

Diagnosed July 2004

Does anyone know if Progresso Creamy Mushroom soup is gluten and dairy free?

Gluten Free...negative blood results...absolutely positive diet results.

Dairy Free...absolutely positive diet results.

Egg Free...there goes another one...absolutely positive diet results.

Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

Does anyone know if Progresso Creamy Mushroom soup is gluten and dairy free?

I'm almost positive that it is not dairy free. Bette Hagman has a cream of mushroom soup recipe in her "Cooking Fast & Healthy" book.

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

I always get in right in my grocery store by the other Progresso Soups. I imagine it must be available all over, since its not a specialty brand. Maybe you could ask your store? And if they dont have it, maybe they can get it in for you??

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville