This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wheat Grass Question

SofiEmiMom

SofiEmiMom Enthusiast

Does anyone no for sure and have any links to articles indicating the certainty as to whether or not Wheat Grass is gluten free? I use a juicer often and want to try some new things for added health benefits and I have been told by some that wheat grass is ok, and by others it is not. Of course the word "wheat" sends me running scared but I have heard there are huge benefits in drinking wheat grass juice. Anyone no for sure? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Wheat grass is not ok. Some people with wheat allergies can eat sprouted grains because the proteins are different, but gliadin is a storage protein and stays in the plant.

Cruiser Bob Newbie
Wheat grass is not ok. Some people with wheat allergies can eat sprouted grains because the proteins are different, but gliadin is a storage protein and stays in the plant.

That's interesting, because I was told Wheat Grass was gluten-free, that the gluten formed in the grain, not the plant material. But, alas, will I eat/drink wheat grass - nope, I'm chicken to try. Just reflecting what I was told.

Bob

Jestgar Rising Star

OK, I found this:

Executive Director, Gluten Intolerance Group, 206-246-6652; www.gluten.net:

* Q: Is barely and wheat grass safe to use in a gluten-free diet? What about sprouts?

* A: According to information from USDA research chemists, specializing in wheat gluten and cereal proteins and a statement from the American Association of Cereal Chemists, gluten is found only in the seed kernel (endosperm) and not in the stem and grass leaves. If the grass is cut from a growing plant and does not include the seed kernel, it should be safe for persons with gluten intolerance to use. Wheat and barley grass are promoted as having superior nutrients, however the nutrient composition of the grasses is not superior to eating a variety of fruits and vegetables, which would be overall more healthy and less expensive than using this supplement. Bottom line is that I would stay away from it at this time and eat more fruits and vegetables! My personal and professional choice is not to use these products. Instead, rely on a variety of gluten-free grains, fruits and vegetables for a nutrient-rich diet. Feel that you must include a grass in your diet; I would recommend alfalfa grass instead of the wheat or barley grass.

As for sprouted wheat or other gluten-containing grains. These are sometimes used in breads that claim to be gluten-free. In talking with many of these bread companies, they claim their breads have no gluten, but none can guarantee that the seed kernels are completely removed before the sprouts are used or that their products have been tested for gluten content. This presents an unacceptable risk for persons with gluten intolerance. GIG does not recommend these products on a gluten-free diet.

I guess I was thinking of the already made stuff. It seems that if you're holding the wheat grass in your hand and can see that there are no kernels (I would cut the roots off too..) then you should be fine.

But I'm with Bob. My level of paranoia wouldn't let me risk it.

SofiEmiMom Enthusiast

Thank you so much for your replies! I think I will stear clear of it for now. I'm an unltrasensitive Celiac and the word 'wheat' scares me anyway. Thank you again for your posts!

Archived