Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silliyak

Mixed Information

Hi All

I'm getting blood work, an upper endoscopy and a colonoscopy on Thursday. My doctor told me to eat the equivilant of two slices of bread a day for a week. However, I've been doing some reading and it sounds more like you need to eat 4-6 slices a day... and for much longer than a week!

Has anyone else heard similar information from their doctor? I really don't want to go through all of the tests and have them turn out negative becase I didn't eat enough gluten prior to the tests.

BTW, before I began eating gluten for the test, I was about two weeks gluten free (with good results).

Thank you!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Generally it should longer and it should be more than your doctor told you, but you also has been off gluten for just two weeks. If you have villi damage from celiac, I doubt it healed completely in that time.

richard

Generally it should longer and it should be more than your doctor told you, but you also has been off gluten for just two weeks. If you have villi damage from celiac, I doubt it healed completely in that time.

richard

Thanks, Richard. We'll see how it goes! :unsure:

Hey... just happened upong your thread & see you had this done last thursday! hope the procedures went OK!

When do you get results? or were they able to tell you anything then?

Positive Bloodwork & Positive Endoscopy, Gluten Free since 8/29/06

Hey... just happened upong your thread & see you had this done last thursday! hope the procedures went OK!

When do you get results? or were they able to tell you anything then?

Yay!! Another Boston person! I really thought that being in Boston would give me some of the top doctors, but unfortunately I think I got a dud.

I ended up getting only the endoscopy because the doctor had a change in his schedule and couldn't do both. I don't remember a thing from the procedure, only waking up with a sheet of paper that said "gastritis" and that the biopsy results would be available in two weeks. Now, I was pretty out of it, but I don't remember a word being said to me regarding the procedure from the doctor or any nurses, which was disheartening.

I got some blood word done after the procedure (which makes me wonder if the sedative they put me on would affect the blood work) and took a reeeaaally long, wonderful nap when I got home.

I have never had heartburn, throughout this whole bout of intestinal distress, but the doc put me on prilosec.

Has anyone ever heard if gastritis (inflammation of the small intestine) can be a symptom of celiac?

Yay!! Another Boston person! I really thought that being in Boston would give me some of the top doctors, but unfortunately I think I got a dud.

I ended up getting only the endoscopy because the doctor had a change in his schedule and couldn't do both. I don't remember a thing from the procedure, only waking up with a sheet of paper that said "gastritis" and that the biopsy results would be available in two weeks. Now, I was pretty out of it, but I don't remember a word being said to me regarding the procedure from the doctor or any nurses, which was disheartening.

Hey! YES -- I know what you're saying, I thought the same thing, since being in Boston we have all of these wonderful hospitals - I had a visit with my Gastro yesterday and posted about what happened in the Post Diagnosis Forum -- I don't think he even understands what celiac is!

FYI - I found out recently there is a Celiac Center at Beth Isreal...

Finally - I was totally out of it after my endo also - I kept asking the nurses the same questions (so they tell me after i was coming out of it) and ended up pretty loopy for the rest of the day.

And I found this comment in relation to your question:

"CONCLUSIONS: There is a high prevalence of lymphocytic gastritis in untreated celiac disease associated with elevated gastric permeability. Celiac disease seems to be a general disorder of the gastrointestinal tract associated with disturbed permeability."

Source: (http://www.nutramed.com/celiac/celiacpermref.htm)

Someone else here might have a better answer for you though... good luck with the results!

Hey! YES -- I know what you're saying, I thought the same thing, since being in Boston we have all of these wonderful hospitals - I had a visit with my Gastro yesterday and posted about what happened in the Post Diagnosis Forum -- I don't think he even understands what celiac is!

FYI - I found out recently there is a Celiac Center at Beth Isreal...

Finally - I was totally out of it after my endo also - I kept asking the nurses the same questions (so they tell me after i was coming out of it) and ended up pretty loopy for the rest of the day.

And I found this comment in relation to your question:

"CONCLUSIONS: There is a high prevalence of lymphocytic gastritis in untreated celiac disease associated with elevated gastric permeability. Celiac disease seems to be a general disorder of the gastrointestinal tract associated with disturbed permeability."

Source: (http://www.nutramed.com/celiac/celiacpermref.htm)

Someone else here might have a better answer for you though... good luck with the results!

Thank you SO MUCH! One, for letting me know about Beth Israel. And two, for looking up the gastritis info. I attempted to search for gastristis info, but none of it was straight-forward. Knowing it can be linked is extremely helpful.

I'm going to go check out your post-diagnosis info. I'm sure it'll give me some insight on the whole process.

Oh, P.S. Your blog is awesome! I think you found a regular reader. :)

Thank you SO MUCH! One, for letting me know about Beth Israel. And two, for looking up the gastritis info. I attempted to search for gastristis info, but none of it was straight-forward. Knowing it can be linked is extremely helpful.

Oh, P.S. Your blog is awesome! I think you found a regular reader. :)

haha - THANKS!! It's mainly a blog for Boston people & surrounding that are gluten free so I try to give good tips... I'll be switching it up a bit & giving it a new look soon!