Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whitball

Can Urine And Saliva Tests Pinpoint Other Food Allergies?

I am having problems with rice and corn and stopped by a health food store on Friday to find other flour options. The person told me that urine and saliva samples can help me pinpoint the other foods that I am allergic to. Has anyone had this test done? The person told me that the test is very reliable. Why didn't my dr. suggest this?

Positive biopsy, positive blood test in 2/2006

Muscle biopsy in thigh in 2004 to confirm metabolic myopathy (found denervated nerves)

Interstitial cystitis diagnosis 2004

Hysterectomy 2003

3 for c-sections, 2 laparoscopies to remove abdominal adhesions

Abnormal heart beat when tired or glutened

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am having problems with rice and corn and stopped by a health food store on Friday to find other flour options. The person told me that urine and saliva samples can help me pinpoint the other foods that I am allergic to. Has anyone had this test done? The person told me that the test is very reliable. Why didn't my dr. suggest this?

I have only heard of tests being done by stool,blood,and the skin prick tests.

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

When they test for allergies using blood they look for large proteins called antibodies that will bind to the specific food proteins. Antibodies are too large to be filtered into the urine, so urine tests definitely won't work. Saliva does contain some antibodies, but not all types and not in large amounts. I did a quick google search on the subject and I found lots of saliva tests for viral diseases, but no food allergies. Sorry, but I think that the blood or skin prick tests are the best way to go. If you don't like needles, you should keep in mind that the blood test is one poke and they can test for lots of allergens.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

When they test for allergies using blood they look for large proteins called antibodies that will bind to the specific food proteins. Antibodies are too large to be filtered into the urine, so urine tests definitely won't work. Saliva does contain some antibodies, but not all types and not in large amounts. I did a quick google search on the subject and I found lots of saliva tests for viral diseases, but no food allergies. Sorry, but I think that the blood or skin prick tests are the best way to go. If you don't like needles, you should keep in mind that the blood test is one poke and they can test for lots of allergens.

I recently contacted my dr. to ask for a test to find out other things that I was allergic to so that I would not need to do the trial an error thing with food. I told his nurse that I was having problems with rice and corn. The nurse called back and told me that corn and rice did not have gluten in them. Well.... no kidding! But I seemed to be reacting to it. Have you been tested for other allergens? What were the results?

Positive biopsy, positive blood test in 2/2006

Muscle biopsy in thigh in 2004 to confirm metabolic myopathy (found denervated nerves)

Interstitial cystitis diagnosis 2004

Hysterectomy 2003

3 for c-sections, 2 laparoscopies to remove abdominal adhesions

Abnormal heart beat when tired or glutened