Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest micah

Can Celiac Cause Minor Gi Symptoms?

Guest micah

Hi, I'm just learning about celiac disease and just wondering if it is possible for celiac to have minor GI symptoms. I used to have terrible C for many years and now it is minor, but I have extreme brain fog every time I eat and extreme fatigue and neurological symptoms. I went off of gluten for one month and the brain fog seemed much better. Are these other symptoms possibly part of celiac if the GI symptoms have actually gotten better over time?

Thanks so much for any input,

Micah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, I'm just learning about celiac disease and just wondering if it is possible for celiac to have minor GI symptoms. I used to have terrible C for many years and now it is minor, but I have extreme brain fog every time I eat and extreme fatigue and neurological symptoms. I went off of gluten for one month and the brain fog seemed much better. Are these other symptoms possibly part of celiac if the GI symptoms have actually gotten better over time?

Thanks so much for any input,

Micah

Yes definetly it can cause all of that. Celiac disease shows itself in a myriad of symptoms but if going gluten free seemed to help, I would first continue to eat gluten, and then go ask your doctor to run a celiac panel on you.

~Sorry for the million questions, I really want to learn as much as I can!~

04/07 - Diagnosed Fibromyalgia

05/07 -Diagnosed Celiac from test & symptoms - scheduled for biopsy

~Also intolerant to milk, soy & beef

Daughter - 2yo - tested negative 03/07 for Celiac

-allergic to milk and soy

-retesting Celiac soon due to symptoms~

Guest micah

Thank you very much.

I am hesitant to ask my doctor to do one more test, I think he is tired of doing tests on me. I'm sort of hoping at this point to diagnose myself, which may not be wise, but I'm running out of other options. Thanks for your thoughts.

:) Micah

Thank you very much.

I am hesitant to ask my doctor to do one more test, I think he is tired of doing tests on me. I'm sort of hoping at this point to diagnose myself, which may not be wise, but I'm running out of other options. Thanks for your thoughts.

:) Micah

For some of us the neurological symptoms can be present and do a great deal of damage before GI stuff becomes more than an annoyance. If you want to find out on your own there is no reason not to IMHO, simply stay on the gluten-free diet for at least 6 months, strictly. Find out all you can about it, you came to a great place but also check out the celiac sprue association and others. You can always also do a short gluten challenge, not the months or weeks the doctors usually want but a short until you react challenge of 3 to 5 days after you have been symptom free for a bit. That is also a valid diagnostic tool for all but the asymptomatic.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)