Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JessieFree

Hi All New To gluten-free

I've been gluten-free for almost a week . I think I feel a little better and my stomach went down but as soon as I take 2 bites of anything I bloat again and still can't get rid of the belching and gas. Should this be improving by now or Is it still too soon?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi.

For me it took at leat 2-3 weeks. Everyone is a little different.

What are some of the foods you are eating in the diet now?

Best regards.

Have not I commanded you? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with you every where you go.

Jos 1:9

I can do all things thru Christ which strengtheneth me.

Phi 4:13

Blood Test: Negative 03/2006

Biopsy Negative 04/2006

Stopped gluten-free diet 04/2006

EnteroLabs: Positive 04/2007

Fecal Antigliadin IgA "Positive"

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA "Positive"

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score "Positive"

Fecal anti-casein (cow

I've been gluten-free for almost a week . I think I feel a little better and my stomach went down but as soon as I take 2 bites of anything I bloat again and still can't get rid of the belching and gas. Should this be improving by now or Is it still too soon?

It can take a bit of time to heal. A week is not really very long. Are you eating mostly unproccessed naturally gluten free foods at this point? It can be hard to ferret out the hidden gluten in things at first and naturally gluten free will help you heal with less 'mishaps'. Be sure to drop dairy products for a least a little while, the same villi that are damaged by gluten are needed to digest dairy. Also make sure you eliminate gluten from all non-food sources as well, cosmetics, shampoos, conditioners, hair coloring, glues, drywall compounds, clays, and pet foods are just a few of the possible sources of non-food gluten.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I have been eating a lot of dairy...Wow that's gonna be hard to give up is it just temporary? I love cheese

It can take a bit of time to heal. A week is not really very long. Are you eating mostly unproccessed naturally gluten free foods at this point? It can be hard to ferret out the hidden gluten in things at first and naturally gluten free will help you heal with less 'mishaps'. Be sure to drop dairy products for a least a little while, the same villi that are damaged by gluten are needed to digest dairy. Also make sure you eliminate gluten from all non-food sources as well, cosmetics, shampoos, conditioners, hair coloring, glues, drywall compounds, clays, and pet foods are just a few of the possible sources of non-food gluten.

I have been eating a lot of dairy...Wow that's gonna be hard to give up is it just temporary? I love cheese

For a lot of us it is temporary. Once we heal a bit and the villi are again producing the enzyme we need to digest it we are fine. Some of us are able to tolerate hard cheeses like cheddar and yogurt for a bit before stuff like ice cream, mozzarela and just milk. I was able to do yogurt and cheddar relatively soon, within a month or so but for stuff like ice cream I waited longer. If someone has a casein intolerance they would not usually be able to add milk in. Casein is the milk protein, lactose is the sugar.

Go by your gut, when you have been symptom free for a while try the 'predigested' cheeses like the cheddar and the yogurt. When you do you should make sure that you are only eating for sure safe stuff so you know for sure it is the dairy and not CC if you should react.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

This happened to me when I first went gluten-free....someone on here told me to be careful of cross-contaimination. AND also, things you might not think of - cutting boards - will hold gluten - toasters, mayonaise, jelly, peanut butter, teflon pans, wooden spoons, plastic spatulas, etc....check these things out. Even certain medications contain gluten.

Keep a watch out for these things

Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!

Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac

SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden

March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac

Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!

Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene

3 children-

youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease

middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac

oldest - ignores warnings