This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

From Scratch Hamburger Buns

KIRK

KIRK Rookie

Grilling out for 20th reunion, would like a bun with burger, any great from scratch Hamburger Bun recipes?

I tried that fantastic bread recipe posted on this forum, great for bread, how about for buns??

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JennyC Enthusiast

Here's a link to a Gluten-free Casein-free hot dog bun recipe made by the same lady who made the famous bread recipe. You should be able to turn it into hamburger buns. Let us know how it turns out if you try it!

Open Original Shared Link

Karen B. Explorer
Grilling out for 20th reunion, would like a bun with burger, any great from scratch Hamburger Bun recipes?

I tried that fantastic bread recipe posted on this forum, great for bread, how about for buns??

Thanks

If by scratch, you mean made fresh, I'm using the following for my buns now:

Open Original Shared Link .com/Minute-Hamburger-Bun...mp;pf_rd_i=home

I used to make them using GFP Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix or the French Bread Mix, but it's nice to only make one bun, fresh each time, instead of a dozen and freezing 11.

KIRK Rookie
If by scratch, you mean made fresh, I'm using the following for my buns now:

<a href="Open Original Shared Link .com/Minute-Hamburger-Bun-Mix-Starter/dp/B000H0NKMI/ref=pd_ys_qtk_cart/103-4634146-6474219?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0QCY30A1G0NF9MG9ZAXN&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_p=186412401&pf_rd_i=home" target="external ugc nofollow">Open Original Shared Link .com/Minute-Hamburger-Bun...mp;pf_rd_i=home</a>

I used to make them using GFP Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix or the French Bread Mix, but it's nice to only make one bun, fresh each time, instead of a dozen and freezing 11.

Thanks, could you re copy that web address for me, I cant get it to open. I would like to try your recipe as well.

Kirk

Karen B. Explorer
Thanks, could you re copy that web address for me, I cant get it to open. I would like to try your recipe as well.

Kirk

Sorry 'bout that. I think Amazon had some extra tracking in there. Try this:

Open Original Shared Link .com/Minute-Hamburger-Bun...r/dp/B000H0NKMI

It's the Minute Hamburger Bun Mix Starter Kit by Fast & Fresh and they send you a kit with a mold for the top and bottom of a bun. You mix it up one bun at a time, microwave it and then pop it in the toaster to brown it. It takes less than 5 minutes and the results is a bun that holds together for me in a burger with rings of raw onion and loads of tomatoes, mustard and ketchup. I wa impressed. It's a bit pricey but I got tired of going through an hour of prep and rising and an hour of baking to turn out enough buns to feed a Scout troop when all I wanted was one bun for me right then. Amazingly, it's even good tasting bread although I would have accepted something less just for the convenience of it.

It has allowed Hubby and me to go to Fuddruckers on the spur of the moment again.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Annalise Roberts has a recipe for homemade hot dog and hamburger buns on her website. Everything I've ever made from her recipes is phenomenal so I bet these are great.

Katydid Apprentice

As JennyC said above, I use Laurie's bread recipe to make my hamburger buns; or Anna's Bread Mix works well too, although a little more spendy.

To speed things up and make it easy for me, I have muffin top pans. Since the dough is so sticky, I take an ice cream and deposit a rounded ball of dough in each depression. Then, with a moistened hand I gently flatten it a little to resemble a bun. They really don't need to take very long to rise and also bake in 20 minutes.

I know that it seems silly to freeze the leftover 11 buns when you only need one, but we find they make good regular sandwiches too; and if they are past their prime, I cut in cubes for dressing, croutons or bread pudding, or grind into crumbs in food processor for meatloaf, scalloped corn, etc. and if you grind them really fine, they work for breading fish, tenderloin, etc.

Kay

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Karen B. Explorer
----snip----

I know that it seems silly to freeze the leftover 11 buns when you only need one, but we find they make good regular sandwiches too; and if they are past their prime, I cut in cubes for dressing, croutons or bread pudding, or grind into crumbs in food processor for meatloaf, scalloped corn, etc. and if you grind them really fine, they work for breading fish, tenderloin, etc.

Kay

It's not silly at all if you have the freezer space, the time to make the buns, and you aren't trying to watch your weight. Hubby and I have to watch our weight and we don't have kids. The biggest adjustments I've had to make with Celiac is the first advice I received -- get a freezer to store all the gluten-free stuff in. I don't have the space for a freezer and I shouldn't be eating that much bread (even if I could have regular bread). The stuff I've put up in the freezer gets freezer burn after a month or two and I never have used bread crumbs or croutons that much. So when I do a big bake, I share the stuff around to other Celiacs so everyone can enjoy it fresh. It never tastes as good as it does the first day (unless it's Chebe which is usually good 2-3 days).

For my situation, products like the Fast & Fresh burger buns are great because I make what I need, right then and I don't have to deal with the freezer storage issue.

sjust Apprentice
Annalise Roberts has a recipe for homemade hot dog and hamburger buns on her website. Everything I've ever made from her recipes is phenomenal so I bet these are great.

Has anybody made these with rice milk instead?

sjust Apprentice
Here's a link to a Gluten-free Casein-free hot dog bun recipe made by the same lady who made the famous bread recipe. You should be able to turn it into hamburger buns. Let us know how it turns out if you try it!

What is amaranth flour and is there a common substitute? I hate to buy another flour.

Thanks

Archived