Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFhopeful

Severity Of Glutenings

Around a month and a half into gluten-free diet and experienced some glutenings in the early weeks. Just wondering, in others experiences, do the glutenings lighten up over time, remain the same, or get worse? I am hesitant to eat out as it is terrible how sick I get and it lasts for 4-5 days. Hoping once some healing occurs, that maybe the accidental glutening is less ridiculous - what have you found?

Guest j_mommy

I am going on 2.5 months gluten-free and I would say the CC reaction is about the same as before going gluten-free.

I'm at about 6-7 months, and my reactions have gotten much more immediate and severe. Even a tiny amount kind of knocks me on my ass.

Geoff

It is hard to say. Pre-diagnosis, I was sick ALL the time. Post-diagnosis, I feel great except when I accidentally am glutened. My body feels sicker, I think, because now I am feeling so good that those times when I am glutened, it just hits me harder. Before I had 3 ways to feel.... sick, sicker, and sickest! Now when I am glutened, I just go to sickest!

interesting way to put it - it is a matter of perspective. but does it last as long for you with similar symptoms as before would you say? i just can't bear the thought of a week down and out again.

I can't tell yet, I am too unstable yet. On this forum I have seen repeatedly people who say that over time they have been more and more sensitive. I saw one person say that eventually they became less sensitive again.

I was not very symptomatic before I was diagnosed. I have been gluten-free since 02/2007 and have noticed that now if I consume something unknowingly containing Gluten my reaction are more severe compared to my condition before going gluten-free. It is simply that my body became somewhat tollerant of the constant gluten in my diet. Now that its gone is reacts more to its occassional presence. Even then it is relative as my symptoms from a gluten ingestion are minor compared to others here on this forum.