This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heart Rate Increases Then Burping

GFhopeful

GFhopeful Rookie

I have been very careful with food since going gluten-free but am trying to figure out if I gluten somehow snuck into something I ate or if there is something else going on and wondering if this has happened to anyone else out there as part of recovery or accidental gluten ingestion.

Woke up with a headache but it wasn't that bad of one. All of the sudden, out of othe blue, my heart started racing and I just felt funny. I laid down and my heart went down to acceptable level. Quick run to the bathroom with minor D and many other trips to the bathroom that night with urination but I stayed in bed for the rest of the night. Headache was worse. In the morning, still feeling shaky and heart rate still high but not ridiculously high and headache gone. All of the sudden again, my heart rate when super high and I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. Then I burped a big burp and my heart settled down. Since then, I have been burping like crazy and feeling better and better from the burping - although still not back to normal.

What do you think, glutened? recovering? something else altogether going on?

I ate a gluten-free pasta (Quinoa Supergrain Pasta), Planters cashews, and Smart Balance Crunchy Peanut Butter this week but otherwise have eaten all of the same safe foods I've been doing well on.

Any tips, suggestions, similar experiences are all appreciated. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Janeti Apprentice

HELLO LIZ,

I HAD PRETTY MUCH OF THE SAME THING GOING ON. I WAS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT WAS VERY SICK BY THE TIME I WAS DIAGNOSED. I THINK AT THAT TIME(I HAVE BEEN GLUTEN FREE SINCE 2/07) NOT ONLY HADN'T I BEEN EATING, DUE TO SEVERE NAUSEA, AND FLAMING REFLUX, BUT THERE WAS SO MUCH DAMAGE TO THE VILLI. THIS PAST JUNE I FOUND OUT OF HAVE INTESTINAL CANDIDA. CANDIDA CAN DO AMAZING THINGS TO YOUR BODY, INCLUDING RAISING YOUR PULSE, CAUSING D AND MAKE YOU FEEL SHAKY, WHICH SOMETIMES I STILL DO. I NOW AM ON THREELAC, A PROBIOTIC WHICH IS HELPING. DO YOU THINK THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE THIS? GOOGLE "CANDIDA", AND SEE IF ANY OF THE SYMPTOMS MATCH WHAT YOU FEEL. I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING, THEN SOMETHING ELSE COMES ALONG, TO MAKE YOU FEEL CRUMMY. GOOD LUCK, I HOPE THIS HELPS. JANET

GFhopeful Rookie

Thanks, I'll check into that a bit more. I know that when I was in the hospital and eventually got my diagnosis with Celiac, they said that my stool samples were all clear from infections - but I'll read more on Candida. A naturopath also recommended I take a probiotic just to help in my recovery but it's sitting in my fridge and I haven't taken it yet as I just want to feel better and have read that they make some people a bit sick when they take them - just chicken I guess.

I do have a theory that maybe it was the salad I ate the night before. I have been cooking most of my veggies up until now. Maybe the raw cucumbers were too much for my system to handle, giving me a crazy bout of gas that caused all this.

Things are so tricky to figure out but your candida suggestion is something I'll read up on. Hope you feel better with your current treatment too.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Liz,

I get the racing pulse and stuff as well. I have other things aside from Celiac going on. However, as Janet said, Candida definitely can do those things to you. I have it on top of possibly having Lyme. The shakiness could be low blood sugar. I get that from the Candida. I wrote an essay on it. PM me with your e-mail address if you would like a copy.

Dear Janet,

I too, have Candida. I am having all kinds of trouble. I take probiotics, but there is a lot more you need to do with the yeast to eradicate it. A special diet, antifungals, and sometimes even immunotherapy is used. The symptoms you had with Celiac are the same as mine. The reflux got so bad, I practically had to sleep sitting straight up, despite taking two Prilosecs a day! After going gluten-free, that helped a lot. I sometimes can cheat and only take one now. Now, on top of this, I may have Lyme.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Janeti Apprentice
Dear Liz,

I get the racing pulse and stuff as well. I have other things aside from Celiac going on. However, as Janet said, Candida definitely can do those things to you. I have it on top of possibly having Lyme. The shakiness could be low blood sugar. I get that from the Candida. I wrote an essay on it. PM me with your e-mail address if you would like a copy.

Dear Janet,

I too, have Candida. I am having all kinds of trouble. I take probiotics, but there is a lot more you need to do with the yeast to eradicate it. A special diet, antifungals, and sometimes even immunotherapy is used. The symptoms you had with Celiac are the same as mine. The reflux got so bad, I practically had to sleep sitting straight up, despite taking two Prilosecs a day! After going gluten-free, that helped a lot. I sometimes can cheat and only take one now. Now, on top of this, I may have Lyme.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Dear no glu girl,

I have been working with a RN for the candida, and I have been trying to use the diet that she gave me. I think that I have a long haul with the candida, I know it's not that easy to get rid of, and can take months.

You think you might have lymes? Have you been tested for that? I hope they get the answer quickly, and get you on the antibiotics as soon as possible if needed....Good Luck. Janet

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Janet,

Candida can take quite some time to get rid of. Some people have mercury poisoning with it, and that can impair your efforts to eradicate it. Lyme is a good possibility. I could have late Lyme. Due to current medical bills and student loans, getting testing is impossible right now. Sometimes it feels so hopeless. I am thinking, why am I going to school if I will end up dead before I can be diagnosed?

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Janeti Apprentice
Dear Janet,

Candida can take quite some time to get rid of. Some people have mercury poisoning with it, and that can impair your efforts to eradicate it. Lyme is a good possibility. I could have late Lyme. Due to current medical bills and student loans, getting testing is impossible right now. Sometimes it feels so hopeless. I am thinking, why am I going to school if I will end up dead before I can be diagnosed?

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

OH MY GOODNESS, PLEASE DON'T THINK LIKE THAT!! YOU DON'T HAVE INSURANCE? WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN? THERE HAS GOT TO BE CLINICS, OF EVEN THE EMERGENCY ROOM THAT CAN TEST YOU, AND THEN YOU CAN BE ON A PAYMENT PLAN. I WORK IN A HOSPITAL ON LONG ISLAND, AND I KNOW THAT THE ER CAN NOT REFUSE YOU! PLEASE THINK ABOUT IT. I KNOW THAT WHEN YOU DON'T FEEL WELL, YOU MIGHT NOT THINK THE WAY YOU DO IF YOU FELT BETTER. PLEASE GET THE TESTING THAT YOU NEED, THIS WAY YOU CAN BE ON YOUR WAY TO BETTER HEALTH. KEEP IN TOUCH....JANET

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGluGirl Contributor
OH MY GOODNESS, PLEASE DON'T THINK LIKE THAT!! YOU DON'T HAVE INSURANCE? WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN? THERE HAS GOT TO BE CLINICS, OF EVEN THE EMERGENCY ROOM THAT CAN TEST YOU, AND THEN YOU CAN BE ON A PAYMENT PLAN. I WORK IN A HOSPITAL ON LONG ISLAND, AND I KNOW THAT THE ER CAN NOT REFUSE YOU! PLEASE THINK ABOUT IT. I KNOW THAT WHEN YOU DON'T FEEL WELL, YOU MIGHT NOT THINK THE WAY YOU DO IF YOU FELT BETTER. PLEASE GET THE TESTING THAT YOU NEED, THIS WAY YOU CAN BE ON YOUR WAY TO BETTER HEALTH. KEEP IN TOUCH....JANET

Dear Janet,

I do not have insurance. The thing is, Lyme is difficult to diagnose. The antibody tests are not always accurate. That is why IgeniX is the best lab. You have to get the Western Blots sent to them, then find a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor who knows how to interpret them. These doctors are rare.

In Indiana, getting disability is impossible. Few people who actually need it get it. You could be missing all of your limbs and they would find a reason not to give it to you! It really is annoying. I have been so depressed lately, because of the situation. I can always tell the people who have money, because of the fact they seem to think it will just drop in you lap.

You can tell some people have never been without money, let alone insurance.

I have not been able to work even a part-time job due to the nausea, headaches, severe fatigue and other problems. I was doing fine the first couple of months on the gluten-free diet. Then, all of the sudden, I caught a nasty stomach virus. I finally began feeling good again, when my doctor put me on Flagyl (which strangely enough I had taken before with no trouble at all). Everything has been downhill from there. Flagyl appears to have activated the bugs for Lyme. Ten years ago is when I probably contracted it, and I had a strange rash all around my waist. I was going out in the woods all the time. I would not worry so much if I was not sick. It just feels like every time I could possible get something good happening, something comes along and messes it up. I honestly wonder if I am cursed or something! Do you ever feel like that?

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Janeti Apprentice
Dear Janet,

I do not have insurance. The thing is, Lyme is difficult to diagnose. The antibody tests are not always accurate. That is why IgeniX is the best lab. You have to get the Western Blots sent to them, then find a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor who knows how to interpret them. These doctors are rare.

In Indiana, getting disability is impossible. Few people who actually need it get it. You could be missing all of your limbs and they would find a reason not to give it to you! It really is annoying. I have been so depressed lately, because of the situation. I can always tell the people who have money, because of the fact they seem to think it will just drop in you lap.

You can tell some people have never been without money, let alone insurance.

I have not been able to work even a part-time job due to the nausea, headaches, severe fatigue and other problems. I was doing fine the first couple of months on the gluten-free diet. Then, all of the sudden, I caught a nasty stomach virus. I finally began feeling good again, when my doctor put me on Flagyl (which strangely enough I had taken before with no trouble at all). Everything has been downhill from there. Flagyl appears to have activated the bugs for Lyme. Ten years ago is when I probably contracted it, and I had a strange rash all around my waist. I was going out in the woods all the time. I would not worry so much if I was not sick. It just feels like every time I could possible get something good happening, something comes along and messes it up. I honestly wonder if I am cursed or something! Do you ever feel like that?

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I am trying to understand this so called health care system that we have here. In NY they have an insurance called "healthy ny" for people who can't afford healthcare. Now, I am not talking disability, but there has got to be clinics there in Indiana that work on a pay slide. You must get the care that you need. If it is lymes, you to be treated as soon as possibe. I am going to try and look into it on my end to see what I can find out. Now, why does the Dr have you on flagyl?

Also, do yo think that you still might have candida? That darn yeast can do so many miserable things that make you feel like you have a virus. Are you doing probiotics?

Don't be depressed...lets work together and see what we can find out. Chin up, I will write you tomorrow :) Janet

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Janet,

I know we have healthcare programs here, but they would not cover the lab that tests for Lyme. IgeniX is the most reliable. My doctor knows how to read the Western Blots. Some friends of mine on here do as well. Even if I had insurance, it would probably not cover the IgeniX testing. They normally only will pay for certain labs. The trouble with this is, IgeniX is the most reliable, and I only have one shot at it.

My doctor had me on Flagyl last November. She thought I had a bacterial infection, although I know it was yeast. I still have the yeast. I know the diet is very strict. I have been working on implementing that. I know it likely contributes to my nausea. Anyway, I always tolerated Flagyl fine, but something was different about this last time. Ever since, I have been so sick, like I was prior to going gluten-free.

The virus I had was last October. It took three weeks for me to get over that. Finally, I began feeling better, but then the Flagl threw me through a loop. Now I am suffering unmercifully a lot. I am usually an optimist, but lately I have just gotten so depressed. The help I need, regular insurance would not provide anyway. Leaky-Gut is likely adding to the burden. Having Candida and Celiac makes things complicated. Lyme and Candida and Mercury poisoning tend to always come together. I may have mercury poisoning as well, due to eating so much fish and having vaccines with thimersol in the past.

Thank you for your encouragement. I appreciate it. I need a nudge sometimes. Depression is hard to deal with. If I had money, I would not have near the stress. It just really brings you down, you know?

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Janeti Apprentice
Dear Janet,

I know we have healthcare programs here, but they would not cover the lab that tests for Lyme. IgeniX is the most reliable. My doctor knows how to read the Western Blots. Some friends of mine on here do as well. Even if I had insurance, it would probably not cover the IgeniX testing. They normally only will pay for certain labs. The trouble with this is, IgeniX is the most reliable, and I only have one shot at it.

My doctor had me on Flagyl last November. She thought I had a bacterial infection, although I know it was yeast. I still have the yeast. I know the diet is very strict. I have been working on implementing that. I know it likely contributes to my nausea. Anyway, I always tolerated Flagyl fine, but something was different about this last time. Ever since, I have been so sick, like I was prior to going gluten-free.

The virus I had was last October. It took three weeks for me to get over that. Finally, I began feeling better, but then the Flagl threw me through a loop. Now I am suffering unmercifully a lot. I am usually an optimist, but lately I have just gotten so depressed. The help I need, regular insurance would not provide anyway. Leaky-Gut is likely adding to the burden. Having Candida and Celiac makes things complicated. Lyme and Candida and Mercury poisoning tend to always come together. I may have mercury poisoning as well, due to eating so much fish and having vaccines with thimersol in the past.

Thank you for your encouragement. I appreciate it. I need a nudge sometimes. Depression is hard to deal with. If I had money, I would not have near the stress. It just really brings you down, you know?

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Something tells me that you are loaded with candida. You sound exactly like a felt. Why do you think that its lymes? Lymes actually gets into your nervous system. I have a co worker who was left undiagnosed for years, and she couldn't walk. Have you tried a probiotic? I am using threelac, and it is working wonderfully. If you are interested, I can give you the website that also includes a very knowledgeable RN. You can talk to her anytime you need to. Call her, email whatever you prefer. I think that if you get rid of that yeast, you will start to see alot of what you are feeling wll only be a memory...thank goodness. :) OK? You lt me know. Take care of youself, Janet

NoGluGirl Contributor
Something tells me that you are loaded with candida. You sound exactly like a felt. Why do you think that its lymes? Lymes actually gets into your nervous system. I have a co worker who was left undiagnosed for years, and she couldn't walk. Have you tried a probiotic? I am using threelac, and it is working wonderfully. If you are interested, I can give you the website that also includes a very knowledgeable RN. You can talk to her anytime you need to. Call her, email whatever you prefer. I think that if you get rid of that yeast, you will start to see alot of what you are feeling wll only be a memory...thank goodness. :) OK? You lt me know. Take care of youself, Janet

Dear Janet,

Wow, you have felt like this too? The nausea is so bad, it is like morning sickness. I know that is definitely not it, though. I have done nothing to cause that! I also frequently feel like I am going to passout, which is really scary. My Thyroid is hyped up, but the blood tests my doctor ran did not show anything. TSH was not done, only the T3 and T4 panels.

I am also getting a lot of pain and stiffness in my neck, no matter how I sleep. I have heart palpitations, and my reflexes are hyper. I also have some twitching going on. I think I probably have Lyme and co-infections, plus Candida.

I know I am loaded with that stuff.

I get weird rashes that pop up out of nowhere, then disappear. I also get a white-coated tongue after eating fruit. I wrote an essay on it and have read countless books and websites. The problem is finding someone who will actively treat it. I also experience low blood sugar, which is why I had to abruptly stop the low-carb attempt I made before. My sweat is toxic.

My foot odor smells like pickles or vinegar, and my body odor often smells like onion or garlic despite the fact I have not eaten any!

I am taking probiotics. I have been for quite some time. The supplement I take also contains prebiotics. Other members on here have been thrilled with Threelac. Maybe I should switch. Meanwhile, I would love to speak with that RN. I need help!

I really appreciate the information!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Janeti Apprentice
Dear Janet,

Wow, you have felt like this too? The nausea is so bad, it is like morning sickness. I know that is definitely not it, though. I have done nothing to cause that! I also frequently feel like I am going to passout, which is really scary. My Thyroid is hyped up, but the blood tests my doctor ran did not show anything. TSH was not done, only the T3 and T4 panels.

I am also getting a lot of pain and stiffness in my neck, no matter how I sleep. I have heart palpitations, and my reflexes are hyper. I also have some twitching going on. I think I probably have Lyme and co-infections, plus Candida.

I know I am loaded with that stuff.

I get weird rashes that pop up out of nowhere, then disappear. I also get a white-coated tongue after eating fruit. I wrote an essay on it and have read countless books and websites. The problem is finding someone who will actively treat it. I also experience low blood sugar, which is why I had to abruptly stop the low-carb attempt I made before. My sweat is toxic.

My foot odor smells like pickles or vinegar, and my body odor often smells like onion or garlic despite the fact I have not eaten any!

I am taking probiotics. I have been for quite some time. The supplement I take also contains prebiotics. Other members on here have been thrilled with Threelac. Maybe I should switch. Meanwhile, I would love to speak with that RN. I need help!

I really appreciate the information!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I think that it is absolutely amazing how all of us Celiacs are the same. I also have hashimotos, and mold allergies.(And a whole bunch of other things that I won't bore you with) But, yes, yes, yes. I too have the rashes that come and go, and dizziness that makes me feel like I'm going down. Threelac is amazing. The RN's name is Lynn Perkins. Her toll free # is

877 277 8013. Her email address is lperk52@frontiernet.net. She works during the day, but if you leave her a message, she will get back to you. Talk to her, she will help you, and soon, you'll be feeling wonderful! Let me know what happens. Janet

miles2go Contributor

Geez Jin, sorry you are having so much trouble. {{{big hug}}}

It's great that Janet could hook you up with the RN, who sounds like help. My only contribution is that you should realize that college can and will wait for you, if you want. They are a business, they want your money and you obviously have the intellect to go back to it anytime. You've probably come across it in your studies, but I could recommend Amadea Morningstar's "Ayurvedic Cooking for Westerners: familiar food prepared with Ayurvedic principles" as a great resource. She has been invaluable for me; she has a great rotation diet suggestion and also polarity diet programs and an Ayurvedic approach to candida - the last two of which I haven't tried, but the rotation diet has saved me. Check it out at your local library or through interlibrary loan, of course. Being poor is an art, not a curse.

Also, if your doctors approve, have you ever considered St. John's Wort for depression? It is relatively inexpensive. I take one capsule a day to keep the blues away and not the recommended dosage. It's a pretty powerful herbal remedy...

Oh, and visualize Chuck Norris round-housing everybody. chucknorrisfacts.com :)

Keep us posted and get better,

Margaret

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Janet,

Thank you for the information! I will contact her soon! B) You are not boring me at all with the mold and Hashimoto's. I know someone else with Hash. It is very miserable to have, and can even be deadly. :o

Right now my Thyroid is hyper, but when it is slow, there are some things I did that helped a lot. Cooking with Coconut oil, avoiding sugar, transfats, broccoli, peaches, and peanuts, (they slow Thyroid function down), and taking 1 capsule each of Ashwaghanda and Solaray Rosemary Leaf Extract. Within two weeks, I was losing weight and feeling less sluggish. I had to do something else, because the medication's side effects were intolerable, and it did not even help me lose weight! I will keep in touch!

Dear Margaret,

Thank you so much for the hugs! :) I will definitely keep that book in mind. I need to do a rotation diet. I have been getting sick from foods I eat regularly now. I probably have Leaky-Gut. Most people with Candida do.

I noticed if I eat a food for more than a day or two in a row, I begin reacting to it. The examples of them I have seen in the past are so complicated. Some of them also have foods you cannot easily obtain, or foods you would not want to eat (like octopus or escargot). Can you say eeewwww!? :huh:

I have been on St. John's Wort in in past. It did not really do much for me. It probably is not a good thing to take with the Depo-Provera, either. This can reduce the potency, which is problematic for the ovarian cysts I have had. You also need to be careful about St. John's Wort with antibiotics. It can reduce their effectiveness as well.

Chuck Norris is great! I love Bruce Lee films as well. I would love to learn Kung Fu. That would be a healthy thing to get into. I am not sure it is affordable right now, but hopefully I could do so after getting testing done for Lyme.

I just have to get my doctor moving. I am tired of waiting on these morons in labcoats. They take their sweet time getting anything done. She was supposed to check out the lab. This is a deadly disease! Maybe I could send Chuck to kick her butt in gear! :lol:

Sincerely,

Jin

Archived