Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest kivmom3

Introducing Myself

Guest kivmom3

I've been posting the past few weeks but never really introduced myself.

I got diagnosed on June 26 of this year. Prior to getting the diagnosis I had severe stomach cramping, D, and nausea. In addition to the GI symptoms, I also had sever back pain, tingling in my arms and legs, depression and a 15 year problem with severe migraines. I had 2 miscarriages and a fetal demise at 19 weeks gestation in the past 3 years. I do have 3 beautiful children, thank God for them. I am a stay at home mom and my oldest is 6 and youngest is 18 months. Since going gluten free I have felt a lot better. I would not say that I am 100% better since i still have problems on occasion. I've been keeping a food log and with that have found that I am also soy and rice intolerant and I have not tried dairy yet. It has been very hard for me to find foods and gain weight. I lost 10lbs prior to the diagnosis and have only gained 2 since then.

This site is so wonderful in so many ways and I just want to thank everyone for all the support. I check the site frequently throughout the day just so i feel like I am not the only one having bumps in the road.

Anyone have any suggestions on starches to eat other than quinoa and potatoes? I am also having a problem finding a pancake mix that does not have rice or soy in it.

Thanks everyone for everything!!!

Gg

Baked sweet potatoes are good. I would be careful with trying to eat the gluten-free mixes, I am now having a problem with rice & I never could eat those mixes...

An apple sliced in a baking dish & sprinkled with 100% maple syrup & maybe a little honey & some raisins, & a handful of chopped walnuts, bake or cook in microwave - makes a good breakfast. Good with ham...

Legumes are a good source of starch. Buckwheat is not a grain, and you may be able to find 100% buckwheat noodles.

Try the various flour mix recipes, some don't have rice flour.

Starches not yet mentioned -- wild rice (not a rice, so you might tolerate it), millet, amaranth, teff, sorghum, lentils, split peas, peas (yes, the last three are legumes, but folks sometimes just think of beans and peanuts in this category), corn, winter squashes (butternut, acorn, Hubbard, banana, pumpkin, buttercup, turban squash), other root vegetables.

For root vegetables, the list I've seen from Dr. McDougall considers the following to be starches: burdock

sweet potatoes

celeriac (celery root)

tapioca

Jerusalem artichoke (sunchoke)

taro root

jicama

water chestnuts

parsnips

white potatoes

rutabaga

yams

I can't say I've yet to try all these things. But at least I have a list :lol: