Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LilyCeliac

Controlling Bodily Functions

I know that this has probably been suggested to you before, and I'm sure you've already done lots of research and stuff, but it occurred to me that perhaps supplementing with a good dose of psyllium every day might 'tighten' things up in there so you don't deal with all that fluid? Like maybe it might soak it up?

Yep, tried that too.

Nothing stays in long enough to bind. I have what they call "rapid transit". Things go through me immediately.

They did that test where you drink that chalky stuff and they take an x-ray, then you go out and sit and they call you at 20 minute intervals to track it through your system. They said I would be there a couple of hours. I went in for the first 20 minute interval and the guy was shocked when they took the x-ray - it had already gone all the way through....... <_<

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Dear Karen,

I did an abdominal CT where I had to take the bathroom. It was so awful! What is worse, they put you in there with five other people who swallowed barium to do the same procedure, and put only one bathroom in there! Now, this is just stupid in my opinion. Honestly, they deserve to clean-up poop if they are dumb enough to do that! You have to wonder what they were thinking!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Lately, I've been taking a Caltrate 600 with D along with every meal. Apparently, the calcium binds with fluid in the intestine and prevents D.

It's working very well for me so far--2-3 weeks. If I skip a tablet, I notice the difference.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Dear Patti,

I took Caltrate before. It made me queasy. Do you have any idea why it would do that? My mother could not tolerate it either. What could be in it that does not agree with us?

Sincerely,

Jin

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Dear Patti,

I took Caltrate before. It made me queasy. Do you have any idea why it would do that? My mother could not tolerate it either. What could be in it that does not agree with us?

Sincerely,

Jin

Hi Jin :D

For the first few days, it's not uncommon to have gas and/or heartburn as your body gets used to the extra calcium. I'm thinking that possibly your nausea was caused by indigestion (heartburn), or maybe you are sensitive to one of the fillers. Also, some of the formulas have magnesium and other minerals. The one I use has calcium and vitamin D only. I can't tolerate magnesium suppliments, so I try to get a decent amount in my diet.

I know that my stomach felt a little odd the first week or so, but after that, I had no side effects at all. Also, starting with 1/2 a pill with meals might help.

I called the company that makes Caltrate, Wyeth, and was told that all of their Caltrate products are certified gluten-free.

Good to "see" you, sweetie ;)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I just bought the biggest bottle of Caltrate I could find! HAHAHAHHA :lol:;)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Dear Patti,

It is nice to see you, too! ;) I have been wondering how you are. Thank you for the Caltrate information. Maybe I needed to take it with more food or something. Like you said, fillers could be the culprit. There are a lot of possibilities.

The nausea is something I have a lot anyway, but the cause could be anything from Lyme to additional food intolerances. Isn't being Celiac fun? :lol: I might try taking half of a tablet. That may work. I might just not be able to adjust to so much so quickly.

Dear sickchick,

Let us know how it goes with the Caltrate! It is good to take calcium. Since many of us cannot have dairy, that complicates things for us. We do not get the calcium we need. I worry about not absorbing it, because I take Prilosec, and I know they can interfere with absorption of supplements.

Sincerely,

Jin

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001