This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ignorant Relative.....

LoveBeingATwin

LoveBeingATwin Enthusiast

Hi Everyone!

I haven't checked in for a while but new right where to go to get advise. Last night my ignorant cousin said something to me and I almost fell out of my chair. We were all having dinner...brought my own noodles so I too could enjoy the spahetti dinner. We were eating and she said to me " I cant wait to get sick like you so I can lose weight". I was almost dumb founded at first. I told her first of all I am not "sick" , secondly I have an autoimmune disorder wich obviously like everyone knows a modification in your diet is the only way to go and thirdly, I have never eaten so healthy since being diagnosed that I feel really good and I actually am starting to lose weight from all of the bloating, malabsoption, etc.

She was like "oh". I said you to could lose weight if you wanted to. First you would obviously need to change your diet. I told her I get to treat myself also, but I don't eat near as much junk and I use to. I just thought it was kind of rude, hence the lack of knowledge she has, that she would say I was sick. I have known people that have been sick, my friend with breast cancer, and I told her she should never wish upon herself or anyone for that matter for a sickness, just to lose weight. Let me tell you I piped right up after her comment to inform her of what is "really" wrong with me. I was not rude, yet I new I had to stick up for myself. At the end she was like, "ya, I guess that didn't sound right". I told her she needed to look up Celiac Disease so she new what was going on with me.

Just thought I would share with all of you because I know it has happened to you. Take care.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

I get that from my husband! Gain a few pounds, just eat a pizza and there goes the weight. Nice huh!

Family sucks sometimes! Eventually they wake up.

Glad to hear you explained life and included the little -stop eating the junk food and eat healthier and you too can drop some pounds. Perfect!

kbtoyssni Contributor

Nice job explaining why she doesn't want to be sick like you. I think people don't realize that this more than "oh, I got the flu and couldn't eat for three days and lost five pounds." It might be because most people didn't see how sick we were for so long. I used to stay in when I was very sick and tried to put on a happy face when I was just a little sick. The trade-off for losing weight by eating gluten is cancer, depression, brain fog, Alzheimer's, etc. That's not worth the weight lost, imo.

melmak5 Contributor

I second the "you did a great job responding/explaining"

I think it is really telling about our society (I am making a broad-sweeping generalization here) that "thin" is so valuable that sickness and thin is preferable to healthy and fat. (even if there is a misunderstanding about the illness)

I cannot tell you how many people have come up to me and said "you don't LOOK sick" or complimented me on loosing weight or said "well, at least you are loosing weight, you cannot be mad at that"

I was not as classy as you and would respond with an extended fist: "why yes, it is FANTASTIC having to go to the bathroom, with urgency, 5-8x a day, I just LOVE this weight loss plan of eat and it feels like someone is punching me in the gut. Want to try?"

bakingbarb Enthusiast

Very intresting how people respond. I think some people just don't get it. Wonder what else they just don't get. Actully my other half forgets all the time. I am not hurt by it, he is so good to me and I know he doesn't do to be mean. I mentioned that last night to him and his buddy says "you don't know men very well do you." He said they forget stuff literaly all the the time.

My ex husbands mother stayed with us once and I took her to get her hair cut. The girl doing the hair cut says something like, she has a terrible hair cut what do you expect me to do with this. She had been just able to grow her hair to barely neck lenght after cancer treatment. :angry: People choose to be ignorant but men I just don't know about them! LOL

Centa Newbie
I told her first of all I am not "sick" , secondly I have an autoimmune disorder wich obviously like everyone knows a modification in your diet is the only way to go and thirdly, I have never eaten so healthy

This is a hotbutton item for me, too. I've been called "disabled", too, and had my stories of recuperation waved away...creepy: they refused to acknowledge my return to wellbeing. What, they preferred me sickly?? Don't like that attitude....

That hairdresser was pretty insensitive, bakingbarb...

Archived