Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sugar

Hypoglycemia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello. Does anyone know much about hypoglycemia being caused by gluten intolerance? I'm hypoglycemic, pretty badly. But it's reactive hypoglycemia. Any thoughts? What about other types of hypoglycemia? Thanks.

Hi Sugar,

I had the same problem before going gluten free. I would eat and have to eat again within 2 hours. I always felt hungry and never felt satisfied except right after a meal. My blood sugar dropped to the point of blurred vision several times. I asked my Doctor and she said that it could be related to not absorbing the nutrients needed due to Celiac Disease. I'm not sure which has helped, but I switched entirely to decaffeinated coffee and started the gluten free diet at the same time. I have had regular coffee a few times and it definately does something to me. Right now I'm on my third day of totally eliminating caffeine. I have not had the low sugar problem happen since my diet changed in August. I also don't have that nagging constant hungry feeling any more.

Do you drink coffee? I know that is linked to hypoglycemia. But I also believe that Celiac can cause some issues with hypoglycemia due to malabsorption, at least for me it seemed to.

How long have you been gluten free?

Just a side note to this. I have been working on the hypoglycemia issues for a while. I used to drink about 6 to 8 cups of regular coffee with sugar a teaspoon of sugar each time. First I cut out the sugar in the coffee, then went to decaf, and today is actually my first day on only herbal tea. I'd say it's been a process that has gone on for about a year. I have not had any coffee for 3 days and am working on completely eliminating it. It's not easy, but I'm working on it.

Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

Join eNewsletter

Well, I was definitely hypoglycemic before going gluten free. I have had episodes of blurred vision, and fallen down, and been almost unconscious. I would be fine as long as I ate something with some carbs, fat and protein every 4 hours or so.

After going gluten free, I was great for almost the first 6 months. No major dizzy spells or anything! Then somehow they started coming back, and with vengeance! Then I figured out I was allergic to soy, and that was a big factor. Now I can't have casein either. (both soy and casein cause intestinal problems and a severe rash for me) I seem to be better now that I've been casein free for 2 months now. BUT, I still have to eat something every 2-3 hours, no matter what. I'm not sure if mine will ever go away, but there's always wishful thinking! (My "normal" blood sugar after eating is about 60-65)

Katie

Gluten free since July 2005

Lactose Free since 1994

Soy free since May 2007

Dairy free since September 2007

Hypothyroid & Hashimoto

Join eNewsletter

Hey, thanks for your help, guys. I don't drink coffee and I never have, but I've only been gluten-free for about a month and a half. A few weeks ago I also stopped eating simple sugars almost completely, and that helped for a while, but now I'm falling and slurring my words and getting sick again after meals. I think it's because I get so hungry that I eat really fast and I get too many carbs, but I don't know. I do feel much better after going gluten-free though, and now my body's like a sugar detector, because if there's sugar in something, I definitely react.

Join eNewsletter

Hey, thanks for your help, guys. I don't drink coffee and I never have, but I've only been gluten-free for about a month and a half. A few weeks ago I also stopped eating simple sugars almost completely, and that helped for a while, but now I'm falling and slurring my words and getting sick again after meals. I think it's because I get so hungry that I eat really fast and I get too many carbs, but I don't know. I do feel much better after going gluten-free though, and now my body's like a sugar detector, because if there's sugar in something, I definitely react.

Cutting out the simple sugars is definitely good! I forgot to mention that, as well as cut out simple carbs too. I only eat complex carbs (like brown rice instead of white rice, yellow or blue corn chips instead of white corn, lots of quinoa, etc) and that has helped too! I think the body processes the simple sugars and carbs too fast, and then it spikes and drops the sugar too much. The only sugar I really have is natural, from fruit and stuff. I also try to only use agave nectar syrup or stevia instead of sugar or splenda stuff. Both agave and stevia do NOT affect your blood sugar, and have a 0 glycemic index.

Please be careful, it's not good to be slurring and falling!! (I've been there too, and it honestly scared the crap out of me!!!) I hope everything gets better for you soon!!

Katie

Gluten free since July 2005

Lactose Free since 1994

Soy free since May 2007

Dairy free since September 2007

Hypothyroid & Hashimoto

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter