Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

missy'smom

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes

It says "Produced in a facility that also handles wheat and soy under Allergen Control Procedures." on the label.

I haven't had the usual GI problems but have been struggling with depression, muscle tension, headaches and lethargy all week and this is the only new product I've tried. At first I just blamed it on the stress of the holidays etc. But then I thought of the new recipe I tried and the bars I've been eating all week and checked the label. I'm trying to figure out if I got glutened or if it's all in my head so to speak! I e-mailed the company and asked them to explain their "Allergen Control Procedures".

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have not had a problem with it yet, but my current box doesn't have the "produced in a facility..." you are finding on yours

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

Thank you for your response. They responded very quickly.

Re: General Inquiries‏

Sent: Thu 11/29/07 11:43 AM

To: Missy's Mom

If you want no possible trace of wheat in your product, I would suggest you use the Whole Grain Quinoa, either the Traditional or Inca Red as this product never comes in contact with any gluten or wheat products and their is no possibility of any trace amounts being in the product.

Our Quinoa Flakes and Quinoa Flour are processed at other facilities that do also process wheat/gluten products. They take great care in making sure that the equipment is thoroughly cleaned before running any of our quinoa through the machinery and we further test for any gluten down to 5 ppm and none is detected.

The norm in the U.S. for considering a product gluten free at this time is 220 ppm (parts per million). The test we use goes down to 5 ppm, so their is a possibility that these products could have a content of below 5 ppm present.

Best regards,

Linda/Customer Service

In a message dated 11/29/2007 7:07:36 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, Missy's Mom writes:

Could you please explain your allergen control procedures, in particular as they pertain to the quinoa flakes. I have Celiac Disease and react to even the smallest amount of wheat. This information would be very helpful to me. Thank you.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies