Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

huevo_no_bueno

Autoimmune Adrenal -- Related?

I am new here.

There is a lot of discussion on celiac and gluten intolerance having a connection to autoimmune thyroid disease.

I am wondering about the connection to autoimmune adrenal issues--it just makes sense!

Take a look at this link if you wish. http://autoimmunedisease.suite101.com/blog.cfm/1441 It discusses adrenocorticol autoantibodies and 21-hydrozy enzymes.

Thanks for chiming in!

Positive IgA-gluten in 2004

Positive IgG-gluten in 2008

Gluten intolerance

Egg allergy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It is not uncommon for a person with one autoimmune disease to have other autoimmune diseases. Many just have one. For others they can cluster...look up polyendocrine autoimmune disorders. Certain disease are more likely to occur together: eg : Type 1 diabetes and thyroid, or celiac and thyroid, thyroid and adrenal failure (addisons), adrenal failure and celiac, pernicious anemia...the list goes on... They can occur singly or more than one disease in any combination in a certain individual.

This is a good website: http://www.aarda.org/patient_information.php

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

There is a lot of discussion on celiac and gluten intolerance having a connection to autoimmune thyroid disease.

I am wondering about the connection to autoimmune adrenal issues--it just makes sense!

Look up PolyGlandular Autoimmune Syndrome Type 2. Its a rare conditon but common if that makes sense :P

http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic1868.htm

Also be aware that adrenal antibodies can disappear and be absent, if the disease has gone undiagnosed for a long time.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Georgie,

Thanks for that link. I don't think that's what I have since my thyroid is fine. I have a relative with Hashimoto's, so I forwarded the link to them. I believe this person is an undiagnosed celiac.

With adrenals, even the subclinical can feel reeeeeaaallly bad....

Positive IgA-gluten in 2004

Positive IgG-gluten in 2008

Gluten intolerance

Egg allergy

With adrenals, even the subclinical can feel reeeeeaaallly bad....

This could be due to what is defined as 'subclinical'. Some Blood tests are not accurate for adrenal problems and some Drs won't refer you for further more advanced and accurate adrenal testing until a problem shows on the basic tests .....so ....you can waste years waiting to get an answer. And autoimmune Addisons can be slowly progressive or happen in weeks. I know some people that have taken 30 years to be diagnosed !

Read up what an Addisons Crisis is - early warning signs - keep a check on electrolytes , ALL associated Antibody tests and serum cortisol every year. Report unusual symptoms to a Dr like salt or vinegar cravings. Check Blood Pressure. Keep a Diary of symptoms for when you do see your Dr...

I believe that Addisons is the 100% requirement for PGA2 and that Hashimotos is only one of the possibles ( like Celiac).

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

This could be due to what is defined as 'subclinical'. Some Blood tests are not accurate for adrenal problems and some Drs won't refer you for further more advanced and accurate adrenal testing until a problem shows on the basic tests .....so ....you can waste years waiting to get an answer. And autoimmune Addisons can be slowly progressive or happen in weeks. I know some people that have taken 30 years to be diagnosed !

Read up what an Addisons Crisis is - early warning signs - keep a check on electrolytes , ALL associated Antibody tests and serum cortisol every year. Report unusual symptoms to a Dr like salt or vinegar cravings. Check Blood Pressure. Keep a Diary of symptoms for when you do see your Dr...

I believe that Addisons is the 100% requirement for PGA2 and that Hashimotos is only one of the possibles ( like Celiac).

then it is not curable. just treatable to a certain extent. if you dont know which autoimmune disease is causing it then what??? all this testing is almost getting pointless it seems. i have low cortisol levels, take cortef and lost tons of weight and muscle. cant wait years to find out what is causing this. its scary.