Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CJS

Cross Contamination

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

How much cross contamination is there if the pot, pan, or utensil are washed with hot water & dish soap?

I know people say that you should get new pot and pans and utensils..........but my personal opinion is if you have a dish washer or wash it hot soapy water you should be OK, but I don't know that you could really know if all the "old" gluten containing stuff is out. I've also read that pots and pans are porus and gluten can get stuck,,,,,,,,,,,,but I really don't have a 100% answer, this is just stuff that I've read.

Good Luck

Pam

Join eNewsletter

I know people say that you should get new pot and pans and utensils..........but my personal opinion is if you have a dish washer or wash it hot soapy water you should be OK, but I don't know that you could really know if all the "old" gluten containing stuff is out. I've also read that pots and pans are porus and gluten can get stuck,,,,,,,,,,,,but I really don't have a 100% answer, this is just stuff that I've read.

Good Luck

Pam

Thank - I guess it's all one big experiment till I get it all fine tuned to my needs.

Candy (CJS)

Join eNewsletter

Whether washing well is enough depends largely on the item. Most of my pans are stainless steel - easy to thoroughly clean, so I kept them. My scratched up non-stick skillets I replaced, along with my wooden spoons and a few plastic things that were old and had lots of scratches that I was afraid might hold onto gluten.

I also replaced colanders and strainers, and one of my baking/cooling racks that had residue in the cracks that I could not remove.

I am not persuaded that dishwashers are any great safeguard against gluten. They may do well at killing germs, but you can't kill gluten - you have to get it off. Everything I kept that I thought might be contaminated, I scrubbed well and rinsed well by hand.

I also soaked my can opener and a few other things in denture cleaner and then scrubbed them as well as I could. Seems to have worked, but I have no scientific evidence to back me up on the effectiveness of this method. Just seemed logical.

One important thing for me was to clean out all my kitchen drawers and cabinets, many of which were pretty crumb-laden. No use putting a sanitized utensil in a crumby drawer. I'm noticing it's time to do that again, even if I'm pretty sure all the crumbs are gluten-free, now!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter