This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! I'm New At This

whimsygirl

whimsygirl Newbie
:huh: I've not been "diagnosed" yet with any positive tests. But, I have been going to Dr. appts. from losing 40 lbs. in a matter of 9 months and have all the symptoms or gluten allergy. I had an upper GI for ulcers and whatever else they test for on those and it came back normal. The GI Dr. said I could have celiac disease but then went on to other conversation and finally concluded maybe it was IBS. I then asked what the other thing was he said I could have and he couldn't remember. My Gyn. actually suggested celiac disease because he has a relative with it. I just started looking into it and realized it matched. I've been avoiding gluten as much as possible and feel quite a bit better. But let me say I'm at a lose for what to eat sometimes, especially for lunch. I've had Tostidos and salsa for three days for lunch becausse everything down to the Campbell's Chunky vegatable soup I used to eat has gluten in it. Any advice on good quick lunches for a newby? And what I should do next? Should I go back to the GI Dr. and have him go in for another endoscopy and test for celiac disease? I'm also reading from other messages on the board here that it looks like I should keep eating the gluten until they test me for it or it could give me a false result from avoiding it. But, It's hard to keep eating stuff that I know are going to make me feel sooo yucky when I have felt so yucky for soo long! :( What is your advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest barbara3675

Rather than messing with the doctors you have there, you could try testing with Enterolab. I did that and now I eat gluten-free/cf and am comfortable all the time. In the process of testing I found that I have the gene for celiac as I did the full testing and also intolerance to cow's milk. It was worth every dime I paid. Just go to www.enterolab.com and follow the instuctions. The test is non-invasive, the instructions are easily followed and they get the results back to you in a decent amount of time. They ask for 3-4 weeks, but in my case it was a day short of two weeks. The results come via email. You don't have to stop eating gluten-free either. Here is a site to go to that you can print a very long list of things to buy at the grocery store that are gluten-free: www.napervillegi.com/GFfoodlist/pdf The last time that I copied this off, it was 50 pages!!!!!!!!! I keep a copy at home and one in the car. Healthy Choice Split Pea, Bean w/ham, Country Vegetable and Chicken w/rice are all gluten-free and very good. If you are, in fact, gluten intolerant, you will feel so much better when you get gluten out of your system. It is worth the effort. Stick with it.

Barbara

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Amy's has microwavable gluten-free Mac and cheese and gluten-free Vegatable Lasagna for quick meals. Amy's also has gluten-free pizza that is actually good. Amys also has soups that are gluten-free. Also Thai kitchen brands of soup are good. There are also brands of chips, candy bars, lunch meats etc that are good for on the go. There is alot we can have its just a matter of finding the right brand you will get used to it. Good luck

If you realize you are feeling better you could just stick with the diet.

Whatever makes you feel better stick with it it's worth it

:D

whimsygirl Newbie

Thank you so much for the reply!!! :rolleyes: I have been so overwhelmed with the gluten thing. I started looking at the ingredients in the foods in my pantry and it is in about everything. It is going to be such a big change, for myself and my family! ( I'm married and have 3 children) And let me tell you these are some gluten eatin' people!! :o I have baked all my life and do it all the time and they really enjoy it so I am now trying to decide if I should just keep baking for them or change everything to gluten free products. I have my curiosities on whether any of my children are affected by gluten. My 12 y.o. has always been very thin, but otherwise healthy, but recently diagnosed with ADD and he complains a lot about feeling nauseous or not hungry in the last six months. My 7 y. o. pretty healthy, asthma (it doesn't bother him much) , and eczema and also somewhat thin. My 4 y. o. has had constipation problems since about 18 months and complains on and off of tummy aches, which I used to just think had only to do with her constipation. Now I'm wondering if the constipation is just a side effect of celiac disease. Any thoughts? Anyway, thanks for any input I'm just so new at all this and this is the first place I've found to get any answers.

billfl Newbie

The 'Progresso" brand of soup has several varieties that are gluten free, for example "Creamy Chicken w/ Wild Rice". They are very good about listing all ingredients, including soy and milk products, in large letters at the end of the ingredients list.

Guest Viola

While you are still in the 'deciding' stage of whether to bake gluten products or not, here is a couple of things to consider.

Flour .. whether it be gluten free or not, flies all over everything, including up your nostrils, lips etc. It quite literally coats everything from your counters to your gluten free toaster, unless it is covered. I decided years ago not to have gluten flour in the house. A bakery does the baking for my husband. Then all I have to watch for is his goody crumbs :o You also have to watch that you don't bake gluten free products in the same pans unless you are certain that it is clean of all gluten residue.

When company comes to stay 'with campers and trailers' they quite often will mix up a cake or something for my husband in the trailer, then bring it in here to bake. My poor husband 'who is always trying to loose weight' is considered so neglected :lol:

Archived