This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Ssris Stop Celiac Symptoms

Gutbomb

Gutbomb Rookie

I am in the process of being tested for celiac but have been supposedly diagnosed with ulcerative colitis by one Doctor and IBS by another. For the past 5 years I have been taking lexapro and have had very few symptoms. I know that lexapro and other SSRIs can significantly help people suffering IBS but is that true for celiac too? From what I have read only going gluten-free will stop symptoms.

Amanda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

home-based-mom Contributor
I am in the process of being tested for celiac but have been supposedly diagnosed with ulcerative colitis by one Doctor and IBS by another. For the past 5 years I have been taking lexapro and have had very few symptoms. I know that lexapro and other SSRIs can significantly help people suffering IBS but is that true for celiac too? From what I have read only going gluten-free will stop symptoms.

Amanda

Only gluten free stops the damage being done to your body, whether you have ever had any symptoms or not. The symptoms you may or may not have are not good indicators of how much damage is being done internally. Your goal should be to stop both symptoms and damage. ;)

Gutbomb Rookie
Only gluten free stops the damage being done to your body, whether you have ever had any symptoms or not. The symptoms you may or may not have are not good indicators of how much damage is being done internally. Your goal should be to stop both symptoms and damage. ;)

I am just trying to figure out why I would stop having symptoms for years at a time if it were Celiacs and not IBS. Just trying to make sense of my crazy GI mess.

curlyfries Contributor

My daughter was diagnosed with spastic colon when she was little. The symptoms went away during her teen years, but are now back. I hear that is not uncommon. Of course now we realize that it was probobly celiac all along.

tom Contributor
I know that lexapro and other SSRIs can significantly help people suffering IBS but is that true for celiac too? From what I have read only going gluten-free will stop symptoms.

IBS *is* a symptom, not a causative diagnosis.

So if SSRIs reduce IBS symptoms, they may be in reality reducing intestinal celiac symptoms.

Unclezack Newbie
I am just trying to figure out why I would stop having symptoms for years at a time if it were Celiacs and not IBS. Just trying to make sense of my crazy GI mess.

Over the many years before I went gluten free, I had good days and bad days. There were times I would go six months to a year with no symptoms. Eventually, I had nothing but bad days and the older I got, the worse the symptoms got until I quit eating gluten. I was diagnosed with IBS. I can't tell you why, but it happened to me too.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI

I was dx'd years ago with IBS when in reality it was undx'd celiac all those years.

Because of Fibro i started on just 25 mgs of zoloft a day maybe 10 years ago. I'm still on it.

I have found swimming as a great stress and muscle relaxer too. dong that about 15 years when i'm healthy enough to do it weekly

so.......IMO for me.....the SSRI's help my pain and help me stay FOCUSED SO I can be totally compliant with my eating gluten-free, sf, cf, df, nightshades and low oxalates diet. whew........ ;) Yes it's a list.

IMO the SSRI might help you relax and cope with the the gluten-free living life style. To me after being undx'd for so long and many damages b/c of this........I'd say 'gluten free' the rest of you life is the answer.

Good luck

Judy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

veggienft Rookie

Amanda

I've been waiting for someone to post on this board that selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI's) were inhibiting their celiac symptoms. The following studies showed that SSRI's are reasonably strong anti-fungal drugs. One would have to speculate that SSRIs' only ability to combat depression lies in its anti-fungal action:

Open Original Shared Link

----------------------------------------------------------------

In two recent publications, Lass-Fl

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Vegienft

Currently candidiasis can't be gotten rid of. It can only be controlled ......like with SSRI's ......or a sugar-free diet.

Gee, don't use sugar and pretty much eat a diet to fight the candidiasis...........but you think even on the diet it never goes away........is just controled?

Hummmmmm?

thanks for the info

Judy

veggienft Rookie
Vegienft

Currently candidiasis can't be gotten rid of. It can only be controlled ......like with SSRI's ......or a sugar-free diet.

Gee, don't use sugar and pretty much eat a diet to fight the candidiasis...........but you think even on the diet it never goes away........is just controled?

Hummmmmm?

thanks for the info

Judy

.....last I checked it was true. I've read doctors advising people to get antifungal drugs for their canididiasis. But I've also read followup from lots of people complaining that the candidiasis always comes back. If you have new info, I'm all ears.

Here's a site which tends to under-represent how many men get candidiasis, but it's a pretty good explanation of the disease:

and a couple more good candida sites:

Probiotics help. And abstaining from chlorine does too.

Your swimming therapy in Philly probably means indoor swimming ......recurrent breathing of chlorine gas. A British study of children who did that found elevated childhood asthma, which other studies associate with celiac and candidiasis. I wonder what other symptoms get elevated by breathing indoor pool chlorine.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
.....last I checked it was true. I've read doctors advising people to get antifungal drugs for their canididiasis. But I've also read followup from lots of people complaining that the candidiasis always comes back. If you have new info, I'm all ears.

Here's a site which tends to under-represent how many men get candidiasis, but it's a pretty good explanation of the disease:

and a couple more good candida sites:

Probiotics help. And abstaining from chlorine does too.

Your swimming therapy in Philly probably means indoor swimming ......recurrent breathing of chlorine gas. A British study of children who did that found elevated childhood asthma, which other studies associate with celiac and candidiasis. I wonder what other symptoms get elevated by breathing indoor pool chlorine.

tHANKS SO MUCH FOR THE LINKS

I'LL READ THOSE.

YOU KNOW YOU AMAZE ME..........THE SWIMMING POOL...........MY FIBO WAS SO BAD FOR 10 YEARS SWIMMING IN CHLORINE POOLS.

Sorry just noticed the caps.......... ;)

then i had a hip replacement and went to a new therapy pool and they use bromine. (?) and i was so much better as was my breathing.

we have a brand new beautiful YMCA but just walking into the pool area.....i couldn't go in.

Will read and get back to you

thanks again.

judy

i read 3 of the 4 ........will finish but didn't want to forget

i have been using a great porbotic for years

I avoid abx at all costs but have celluitis again so am on clindomycian (?) and really upping the probotics now.

thanks again.

judy

veggienft Rookie

......It requires moderate plumbing skill and an hour or two to install. I think this one has the G.E. RO membrane. If you can find a system or just a replacement membrane that's made by Dow Chemical (I think "Thin Film"), they're about three times as effective.

Change out all the pre- and post- filter cartridges once a year.

Archived