This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tcell Lymphocyte - Biopsy Positive

artselegance

artselegance Apprentice

I'm new to all this....so I'll make this as brief as possible.

I was diagnosed B12 Deficient in December, 2007. Treatment for this includes Weekly injections, Sublinguals daily, B-complex, folinic acid.

Have had stomach issues off and on for years and have taken stomach meds consistently for last 3-5 years. (prilosec, nexium, protonix). Last several months acid reflux, burping, indigestion, heartburn constant with everything I eat. Gastro did EGD and colonscopy on Aug 8th. Nurse called and Friday for me to come in on Monday to have blood testing done for celiac. She said the biopsy is showing positive for Celiac, but they must do further testing. She said the TCell Lymphoctye is what the biopsy shows.

Is this a sign of lymphoma. I have been reading this site all weekend about celiac and am truly overwhelmed. How long will it take blood tests to come back. I know they have to send them off. Usually if the biopsy is positive, does the bloodwork come back positive?

I'm now beginning to wonder about the cancer end of this.....my mind is running wild.

My tummy is distended, bloated, gurgling......and I guess I will just start gluten free tomorrow and see what happens.

Anyone with any insight please post.....I'm glad I found this wonderful site and look forward to making friends.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

I saw your post and had to respond. I know you are worried. So I did some research online. I found this:

Open Original Shared Link

It sounds like that once you go on a Gluten Free diet your T-Cells will go back to normal. Try not to let complicated medical terms scare you (although I know it hard). I do not think you have cancer.

And regardless of what the blood tests say....you have intestinal evidence of Celiac. You need to be on a gluten-free diet for life. Make sure they test your total IgA. If you are deficient in this antibody, the other blood tests will be invalid, so they will need to do IgG on you.

artselegance Apprentice

Thanks for you response Shay. And you are so right about the medical terms. I realize at this point I need to concentrate on the healing and eating the proper foods. These forums help so much.

I have so much to learn because the evidence IS there.

nora-n Rookie

The biopsy is the official test for celiac, was yours just showing increased intraepithelial lymphocytes, or blunted villi, or something not totally conclusive? What did it say?

I guess they want the blood tests too, maybe in order to get a baseline so they can tell later how much the antibodies have gone down on the gluten-free diet. But one does not really NEED them if the biopsy came back positive.

in old times, they just did a repeat biopsy a year later to check how much you improved.

In kids, they did a repeat biopsy, and then the chid had to go back on gluten, and then be biopsied again, and then if they did not find damage this time, the diagnosis was taken away....Nowadays they put you on a gluten-free diet for life.

nora

artselegance Apprentice
The biopsy is the official test for celiac, was yours just showing increased intraepithelial lymphocytes, or blunted villi, or something not totally conclusive? What did it say?

I guess they want the blood tests too, maybe in order to get a baseline so they can tell later how much the antibodies have gone down on the gluten-free diet. But one does not really NEED them if the biopsy came back positive.

in old times, they just did a repeat biopsy a year later to check how much you improved.

In kids, they did a repeat biopsy, and then the chid had to go back on gluten, and then be biopsied again, and then if they did not find damage this time, the diagnosis was taken away....Nowadays they put you on a gluten-free diet for life.

nora

Nora, thanks for asking and just now I have requested a copy of the biopsy. The "RUDE" nurse told me yesterday that it would take 7 to 10 days to get the blood tests back. Soon as I get the report I will post. Thanks again.

firegazing Newbie

Sorry that the nurse was rude to you about the blood tests. I've had several such experiences now. Did she mean that it would take 7-10 days for -them- to get the results, or for them to tell you the results? I've had good luck getting a copy of my blood test results sooner when I tell the office that I need a copy for something else (for example, that I missed work/class while I was at the lab and I need to prove where I was).

artselegance Apprentice
Sorry that the nurse was rude to you about the blood tests. I've had several such experiences now. Did she mean that it would take 7-10 days for -them- to get the results, or for them to tell you the results? I've had good luck getting a copy of my blood test results sooner when I tell the office that I need a copy for something else (for example, that I missed work/class while I was at the lab and I need to prove where I was).

The lab work is sent to California. So it probably does take several days... I will give it until next Monday, then place another telephone call. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived