Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elspeth

Angry Sister-in-law

Thanks for the Tom Sawyer suggestion. I may try it after I exhaust the flours I already have.

I'm really trying to find a gluten-free flour that is less gritty and reasonably priced. Preferrably something that doesn't require xanthan gum but I guess that's a pipe dream. I've received suggestions for various mixes that include xanthan and so far it seems to me that I'll just have to swallow hard and pay the price.

Some recipes that use almond flour do not use xanthan gum. However, almond flour is not cheap either, and has a pretty distinct taste. I like it, but I don't want to use it for everything.

It's pricey, but you only use a tsp or so at a time, so it lasts a long time (especially if you don't bake a whole lot) I bought mine back probably in Aug or Sept and still have quite a bit left. So, it's not something you'll be out buying frequently.

It took me awhile to bite the bullet though, so I completely understand.

I know it would be rude, but my personal reaction would be to wait for her to beginning discussing her BM's over dinner and immediately stop eating and flag the waiter. Ask for a 'to go' box, as you've lost your appetite. Wait for anyone to ask what or why and explain that you're sorry, you'll eat later, as you simply cannot eat while discussing BM's. As I said, it's rude, but it would clearly put your point across, and may make her rethink her behavior. While commiserating with a friend or family member is one thing, discussing stools over food may not be tolerated by everyone's stomach. This does have me assuming that at some point you've asked her to change the subject, as it's not appropriate dinner conversation.

Corn meal is much coarser than other flours, and is definitely gritty.

Some brown rice flours are grittier than others. Brown rice flour that is really fine is hard to find and expensive; I sub out half of the brown rice flour with white rice flour that I purchase from the Asian grocery store--it's VERY fine.

I have used the Tom Sawyer blend, and it's very good, as is Betterbatter flour. No grittiness with either one of them.

Corn meal is much coarser than other flours, and is definitely gritty.

I like to use corn flour as a subsitute...it isn't gritty. I use corn meal with the corn flour.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Chances are if you have lumps on your body for years and the Dr. isn't concerned they're probably not lymph nodes. Chronically swollen lymph nodes would be something every Dr. would be concerned with.  Chances are you just have cysts ...
    It's different  for everyone, it can be a month or maybe a year. Most probably within a few months. This is assuming the symptoms are in fact related to gluten, which they may not be. 
    Hi Laura I'm so pleased you found answers.  This is very encouraging.  Seven years on from my own diagnosis I wish I could have some vitamin and mineral screening, I'm sure I'm still deficient. Cristiana