Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bored_girl

Cd Confused With Anorexia...

Well, actually you have to eat a lot of gluten every day for 3 months before the biopsy, and even that may not be enough to get you positive results on the biopsy. Did they run blood tests? Your positive dietary response should be enough reason to stay gluten-free.

Yes, I did have blood test done. One came back very high, and one came back negative. My gastrologist (sp?) said that I should just eat one slice of bread a day for a week before the bioposy, since i'm very very sensitive to gluten. So i'm going to pig out on gluten during Christmas. He said that should show up well enough for the bioposy. He also said he needed physical proof for me to be considered a true Celiac. I would've been happy with just eating gluten free with out the bioposy and making myself sick. But the doctor insisted. <_< The doctor did say though, that he wasnt sure what else it could be. :rolleyes:.

-amber

Your gastroenterologist is wrong. If you even had one positive on the blood test, you have celiac, and you need to be on the diet whether or not you ever have a positive biopsy. Three months on gluten is considered the minimum time it will take to produce atrophy reliably, and even then, it is something that many celiacs never have, regardless of how sick they become or how well they respond to the diet.

It is way behind the times to say that the only true celiac symptom is villi atrophy, and without it you don't have gluten intolerance. You need a new GI.

Nothing

Yes, I did have blood test done. One came back very high, and one came back negative. My gastrologist (sp?) said that I should just eat one slice of bread a day for a week before the bioposy, since i'm very very sensitive to gluten. So i'm going to pig out on gluten during Christmas. He said that should show up well enough for the bioposy. He also said he needed physical proof for me to be considered a true Celiac. I would've been happy with just eating gluten free with out the bioposy and making myself sick. But the doctor insisted. <_< The doctor did say though, that he wasnt sure what else it could be. :rolleyes:.

-amber

By the time your villi are worn away enough to get a positive biopsy, you have already done a lot of damage to your body. If you know you are gluten intolerant, I don't think it's worth it to do that kind of damage to your body just so you can have the official seal-of-approval from your doc. Have you talked to your parents about whether or not it is worth it to get a biopsy? If you are satisfied that you have celiac or at least gluten intolerance, do you need an official diagnosis? Another thing to consider is that there may be complications when you get older and have to find your own health insurance. It's not necessarily a bad thing to not have a diagnosis on your record... But talk to your parents about this.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

I know how you feel! I'm 21, 5'3 and weigh anywhere from 96 - 98. And I drop weight very quickly (if i'm sick for even a week and my eating patterns change I can go to the low 90's- 89. I recently started going gluten-free and now i'm worried i'll lose more weight. I Don't want to gain any either but i'm worried people will jump to the conclusion its an eating disorder causing the weight loss not celiacs.

You were born an original--- don't die a copy

A Dream is a Wish Your heart makes!

My anorexia was actually a symptom of the sprue and not "true" anorexia. You might want to look into whether or not you have celiac.

Diagnosed 11-11-05 after 3 months of major symptoms, including 2 hospitalizations and 7 ER visits for dehydration and syncope. Otherwise, I had all "normal" blood tests and major scans. During those 3 months, lost 20 pounds, all my muscle tone, and ultimately could not walk for 2 days. Spent 6 days during the second hospitalization hooked up to IV and STILL passing out IN BED due to malnutrition with doctors staring at me AS IF it was all IN MY HEAD

Other related symptoms:

Osteopenia

Hypothyroidism

Gluten Ataxia - three "nodes" recently found in my brain (thought I had MS)

Muscle weakness

Fatigue

Chronic Constipation

45 pound weight gain since going gluten-free!

gluten-free since 11-11-05. Cannot eat bananas, potatoes, or spinach. Recently reintroduced yogurt into my diet and able to tolerate plain yogurt with sugar.

HATE the diet but psychologically tolerating it for my health.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    KimberlyK
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)