1 1
The Gigglah

Cigarettes, Dipping/chewing Tobacco

Rate this topic

I quit smoking about a 2 months ago, and like many others am having a hell of a time. Whenever I'm out at a bar/ show or at a friends house and anyone lights up a smoke I usually pop in a Camel snus or a skoal dip pouch instead of bumming a smoke. Every once in a while, I'll get a stomach cramp but not sure if it's from food that I had earlier or from the tobacco. Anyone know if chewing/dipping tobacco has Gluten?

Here's the rub (LOL) - you're not doing yourself any favors because you're still using tobacco.

I've buried both parents and an aunt due to lung cancer/celiac in the last 3 years, and I'm a 7-year-quit-smoker, but I'm still no Nicotine Nazi - if you want to smoke, smoke. If you don't, don't. But IMHO you're just prolonging the agony of quitting by using the "smokeless" tobacco.

No judgment, it's just to me like an alcoholic saying, well, I'm going to quit drinking bourbon, and since all my friends are drinking bourbon, I'm just gonna drink a beer.

I quit smoking about a 2 months ago, and like many others am having a hell of a time. Whenever I'm out at a bar/ show or at a friends house and anyone lights up a smoke I usually pop in a Camel snus or a skoal dip pouch instead of bumming a smoke. Every once in a while, I'll get a stomach cramp but not sure if it's from food that I had earlier or from the tobacco. Anyone know if chewing/dipping tobacco has Gluten?

I don't know, but according to their website, Nicorette is Gluten-Free. Maybe that would be a better route for you as you are trying to quit.

Good luck. I've never smoked, but my husband did for many years. He quit before I met him, but he says it was REALLY HARD -- and SO worth it. He quit a couple of times before it "stuck," but once he'd really really quit for good and stuck with it for a year, the cravings went away and it hasn't tempted him since. That was about 36 years ago if I am doing my math right (before I was born -- yeah, stick with it and someday you too can have a much younger wife. ;) ) (Just kidding, and no offense to the current wife if there is one).

Thanks for the replies Patty and Brigala. It's funny how when you are younger and start an addiction like nicotine you really don't think too much about it. Then you hit 30 and relize how fast life goes by, and how fragile life is, that it really kicks you in the butt. I think I may stop tobacco tommorrow and get some Nicorette. I do have a much younger gal(haha) 8 years younger, and the mouth tobacco grosses her out. Thanks!

Posted (edited)

The manufacturers of  Marlboro Snus advises that people with wheat protein allergies avoid their products. Camel Snus is produced basically the same way but with different natural and artificial flavorings and humectants. Their moist dips and loose leaf chewing tobacco are also dangerous to consume for the same reasons. Smoking is just as harmful, as the hot smoke, containing tar, is full of the same contaminants; which coat your throat as they pass into your lungs (that you eventually swallow). It is not only the flavoring additives that have the "potential" to contaminate the celiac patient, it is the humectant that is used in their products that may also contaminate the celiac patient. Best solution - stop using tobacco; alternate solutions - wheat protein/gluten free nicotine infused gum, tablets, or nicotine nasal sprays.    

Edited by Jerusalem Kodesh
Grammer edits