This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Exhaustion

BeautifulDay

BeautifulDay Apprentice

So I went gluten-free about a month ago after years of struggling with my health and multiple misdiagnoses. My symptoms included mostly GI prolems, abodominal pain, soreness, random hives, anemia, fatigue, etc. About a year ago I was diagnosed with 20-30 different food allergies via skin testing. I have been avoiding all this food since I was diagnosed, but my health has not gotten markedley better.

I have been tested for Celiac Disease multiple times (both by blood and intestinal biopsy via an upper endoscopy) and each time the results were negative. After doing some research and reading that many people have Non-Celiac-Gluten-Intolerance and, while testing negative for Celiac, still cannot tolerate the protein. I decided after all my struggle and pain and ridding of essential foods in the past for my allergies, getting rid of wheat/gluten would be a fairly easy step.

After going gluten-free, I have never felt better! (And not to mention I had my first "normal" BM in YEARS!!)

Although things are better, they still are not great. I have been struggling with exhaustion and fatigue since I went gluten-free. I eat plenty of protein for a woman my age along with a great deal of fiber via fruit and vegetables. Is this fatigue a possible side-effect of going gluten-free (withdrawl?)

Has anyone else had this problem?? Does it get better?

Thanks for reading and any help or suggestions you might have!! I really appreciate it! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MKat Explorer
So I went gluten-free about a month ago after years of struggling with my health and multiple misdiagnoses. My symptoms included mostly GI prolems, abodominal pain, soreness, random hives, anemia, fatigue, etc. About a year ago I was diagnosed with 20-30 different food allergies via skin testing. I have been avoiding all this food since I was diagnosed, but my health has not gotten markedley better.

I have been tested for Celiac Disease multiple times (both by blood and intestinal biopsy via an upper endoscopy) and each time the results were negative. After doing some research and reading that many people have Non-Celiac-Gluten-Intolerance and, while testing negative for Celiac, still cannot tolerate the protein. I decided after all my struggle and pain and ridding of essential foods in the past for my allergies, getting rid of wheat/gluten would be a fairly easy step.

After going gluten-free, I have never felt better! (And not to mention I had my first "normal" BM in YEARS!!)

Although things are better, they still are not great. I have been struggling with exhaustion and fatigue since I went gluten-free. I eat plenty of protein for a woman my age along with a great deal of fiber via fruit and vegetables. Is this fatigue a possible side-effect of going gluten-free (withdrawl?)

Thanks for reading and any help or suggestions you might have!! I really appreciate it! :)

Yes!! I'm still waiting on biopsy reports. My blood tests have always come back negative. I was mostly gluten free for 3 weeks and my stomach has never felt better!!! My one complaint was the fatigue. I didn't know if it was because I wasn't getting my normal carbs....I also really cut back on the sugar so I wondered if I was going thru sugar withdrawal symptoms??? BUT, I think that was the time that my thryoid really began to go crazy (have had thryoid issues for 12 yrs). It took me a couple of months to get that better (it kept flip flopping). So, my suggestion would be to have your thyroid checked. But, I did wonder if the fact that I wasn't eating gluten caused my thyroid to go weird....makes sense if eating gluten can cause your thryoid problems then NOT eating gluten would cause it to change as well???? So many mysteries :)

Roda Rising Star

Getting the thyroid checked is a good idea. You need them to run a TSH, T3, T4, free T3, free T4, and tests for thyroid antibodies. Also you need to get checked for other deficiencies, like iron, b12, folic acid, vitamin d, vitamin K, etc. I felt better going gluten free but really felt great once I started supplementing with vitamin D. My levels were really low. I am still struggling with iron deficiency and I think I need to start taking vitamin b12. Hang in there.

lizard00 Enthusiast

I had terrible fatigue, also. It got progressively worse over about a year and a half. I had my thyroid checked a couple of times, and it always came back normal. After about 6 months, I started to realize that I wasn't dragging like I had been, and no longer was taking naps in the afternoon.

It doesn't happen over night either way, although I wish the healing part did! :lol: I would also advise getting an overall check for any deficiencies... I was low in vitamin D, which in common among the general population, throw celiac on top of that and your almost guaranteed to be low. Anyway, I started taking a supplement and noticed a huge difference within the first week.

All that to say, YES! There is hope!! :)

strawberrynin Newbie

You'd mentioned anemia. Anemia takes some time to fix on gluten-free diet. And the gluten-free diet may not make a difference in your anemia. I've been told because I'm cutting out easy energy, and the iron still isn't getting absorbed, I'm going to be tired. And, depending on your particular ferritin levels, you may require other interventions (shots, pills, transfusions) until your intestines are repaired.

samanthaw Newbie

Have you resolved the anemia? If not, it's important for your iron levels to be sufficient or you will never feel completely well, even if the gluten problem is resolved. Discuss iron supplementation with your doctor. You may also need to supplement other vitamins -- B12, D, C. Also, make sure there are no hidden sources of gluten in your diet, especially fast foods and processed foods, vitamins, drinks, etc. The web has endless sources for checking to see if a product contains gluten. Some people go as far at to check hair products, toothpaste -- anything that is in contact with the body. Good luck!

Karrin Rookie
Yes!! I'm still waiting on biopsy reports. My blood tests have always come back negative. I was mostly gluten free for 3 weeks and my stomach has never felt better!!! My one complaint was the fatigue. I didn't know if it was because I wasn't getting my normal carbs....I also really cut back on the sugar so I wondered if I was going thru sugar withdrawal symptoms??? BUT, I think that was the time that my thryoid really began to go crazy (have had thryoid issues for 12 yrs). It took me a couple of months to get that better (it kept flip flopping). So, my suggestion would be to have your thyroid checked. But, I did wonder if the fact that I wasn't eating gluten caused my thyroid to go weird....makes sense if eating gluten can cause your thryoid problems then NOT eating gluten would cause it to change as well???? So many mysteries :)

I'm having the same trouble, but in the past I've had my thyroid tested and it's always been reported back to me as being normal. I'm curious if you ever had yours tested prior to your celiac diagnosis and had a normal result?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BeautifulDay Apprentice
I'm having the same trouble, but in the past I've had my thyroid tested and it's always been reported back to me as being normal. I'm curious if you ever had yours tested prior to your celiac diagnosis and had a normal result?

I have had mine tested a couple times in the past and have had normal results. However, thyroid problems run rampant in my family (my mom has Grave's disease) so it's likely I have developed a thyroid problem as well...

Even if you have tested normal in the past, you can still develop thyroid problems, so I definitely say get tested again! I have a blood test scheduled for this next week, so hopefully that will give me some answers. It's better safe than sorry in getting it checked out for yourself as well!!

Good luck!! :)

Karrin Rookie
I have had mine tested a couple times in the past and have had normal results. However, thyroid problems run rampant in my family (my mom has Grave's disease) so it's likely I have developed a thyroid problem as well...

Even if you have tested normal in the past, you can still develop thyroid problems, so I definitely say get tested again! I have a blood test scheduled for this next week, so hopefully that will give me some answers. It's better safe than sorry in getting it checked out for yourself as well!!

Good luck!! :)

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind for next time I see my doctor. :)

Archived