Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Quaker brand of grits safe? Anyone get a reaction from them due to cross contamination?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Ewww...don't want no grits contaminating my bacon ;)

Sorry just teasing...couldn't resist. I think my mother turned me off them for the rest of my life by making me eat bad grits before school when I was younger!

I was actually told to stay away from grits (no problem for me) so they might not be safe but I may have been mis-informed (it wouldn't be the first time).

Bob's Red Mill makes soy grits, rice grits and millet grits on their gluten-free lines. They also have a "Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal" that combines a number of grains that's of a similar texture.

I am specifically looking for corn grits. Concerned that Quaker, who handles wheat and oats, could have cross contamination.

We had a discussion about grits a few weeks ago. Quaker Instant Grits

Long story short - Quaker don't guarantee their sterility, and some people don't trust them. There are other brands that are guaranteed gluten-free. Personally, I've never had a problem with Quaker grits, and I think they're safe. If anybody has had a reaction, please let me know.

- Jeremiah

Interested in knowing the other brands of grits that state they are gluten-free.

Thanks.