Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Is Quaker brand of grits safe? Anyone get a reaction from them due to cross contamination?

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Ewww...don't want no grits contaminating my bacon ;)

Sorry just teasing...couldn't resist. I think my mother turned me off them for the rest of my life by making me eat bad grits before school when I was younger!

I was actually told to stay away from grits (no problem for me) so they might not be safe but I may have been mis-informed (it wouldn't be the first time).

Bob's Red Mill makes soy grits, rice grits and millet grits on their gluten-free lines. They also have a "Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal" that combines a number of grains that's of a similar texture.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I am specifically looking for corn grits. Concerned that Quaker, who handles wheat and oats, could have cross contamination.

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

We had a discussion about grits a few weeks ago. Quaker Instant Grits

Long story short - Quaker don't guarantee their sterility, and some people don't trust them. There are other brands that are guaranteed gluten-free. Personally, I've never had a problem with Quaker grits, and I think they're safe. If anybody has had a reaction, please let me know.

- Jeremiah

Interested in knowing the other brands of grits that state they are gluten-free.

Thanks.

Archived