RobynJ

Trader Joes

Rate this topic

We are week one of a gluten-free diet and I am confused about Trader Joes. A lot of the stuff listed as gluten-free says made on equipment with wheat. I thought that was not okay?

Is TJ's stuff okay?

We are week one of a gluten-free diet and I am confused about Trader Joes. A lot of the stuff listed as gluten-free says made on equipment with wheat. I thought that was not okay?

Is TJ's stuff okay?

Each person with gluten intolerance has to answer this question themselves through trial and error. If you are one of the extremely sensitive ones, then you may not be able to tolerate products made on shared equipment, even though they cleanse the lines thoroughly before running gluten free products. Others of us can tolerate what small amount of gluten may be left in the lines after cleaning. It is pretty expensive for food processors to keep dedicated lines for gluten free foods; i.e., they have to be one of the big guys, or a small place specializing only in gluten free. So all I can suggest is that you try it and you should have your answer for you, but that answer may not be the same for someone else. You will find plenty of gluten free foods with this information on the package and you will learn if you have to avoid them or not.

Each person with gluten intolerance has to answer this question themselves through trial and error.

Since I just started my son out on this- should I exclude these in the beginning? Then add them or assume they could be okay and remove them if we don't see improvement?

Safest way to start out is to stick to unprocessed foods - things with very few ingredients, like meat, fruits and veggies, eggs, cheese, potatoes, rice. Don't hurry out and buy gluten-free crackers, bread, etc. Add those in later when whatever symptoms you have are under control. This website is a good place to find basics, like cereal (Rice Chex and Corn Chex, Pebbles cereal, etc) and snacks. To start, avoid foods that are processed on the same equipment as wheat - those have the highest chance of cross-contamination. Food processed in a facility that also uses wheat can be cross-contaminated but are less likely. Avoid both until the whole-food diet has eased symptoms, then try adding those in one at a time.

Safest way to start out is to stick to unprocessed foods - things with very few ingredients, like meat, fruits and veggies, eggs, cheese, potatoes, rice. Don't hurry out and buy gluten-free crackers, bread, etc. Add those in later when whatever symptoms you have are under control. This website is a good place to find basics, like cereal (Rice Chex and Corn Chex, Pebbles cereal, etc) and snacks. To start, avoid foods that are processed on the same equipment as wheat - those have the highest chance of cross-contamination. Food processed in a facility that also uses wheat can be cross-contaminated but are less likely. Avoid both until the whole-food diet has eased symptoms, then try adding those in one at a time.

okay.... it that is the safest I guess I will do that... I am just not sure what to feed the kid. I guess I will put a post in the kids section. Thank you though!