Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJ_

Amaranth Flour

HI all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up before.

I bought a package of Amaranth Flour and opened it up and it smelled like a musty moldy basement. I have bought other mixes from this same company and have had a after taste to the finished product that would have the same flavor. Is Amaranth flour known to have this smell?

Have a great day,

JJ

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've bought a number of bags of amaranth flour and never noticed a bad smell.

HI all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up before.

I bought a package of Amaranth Flour and opened it up and it smelled like a musty moldy basement. I have bought other mixes from this same company and have had a after taste to the finished product that would have the same flavor. Is Amaranth flour known to have this smell?

Have a great day,

JJ

Unfortunately, that is how Amaranth flour tastes and smells. Some people might not notice as much as others. It's kinda like the difference between rice pasta and corn pasta. You will have supporters on both sides depending on their taste buds. I just made a sugar cookie recipe that called for amaranth flour and they definitely had an aftertaste to them. After I added frosting they were bearable but just barely. I prefer rice, sorghum, tapioca, potato starch and corn flours. They are pretty neutral and don't have that aftertaste. Good Luck!!

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Hi everyone  I’m newly diagnosed ( three weeks ) and awaiting a dietician appointment, one question amongst a million others, is what supplements am I best to start taking?  Will a good multi vit be enough or shall I buy them separately?  ...
    From Haribo website "Are your products gluten-free? Our manufacturing facilities use different glucose/dextrose suppliers and some ingredients are derived from wheat, so despite our test of our products having shown no identifiable...
    Hey friendly folks.   I'll start with some stats: I've been diagnosed and gluten free just over two years. Prior to diagnosis these were my symptoms: headaches, nausea, acid heartburn, loose stools, foul smelling gas, feeling emotional ...