JJ_

Amaranth Flour

Rate this topic

HI all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up before.

I bought a package of Amaranth Flour and opened it up and it smelled like a musty moldy basement. I have bought other mixes from this same company and have had a after taste to the finished product that would have the same flavor. Is Amaranth flour known to have this smell?

Have a great day,

JJ

I do eat a mix grain cereal that has Amaranth. I've taken two bags back because of the funny odor.

I've eaten puffed amaranth cereal and it did not have this smell or taste. It sounds like it has gone bad.

I've bought a number of bags of amaranth flour and never noticed a bad smell.

HI all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up before.

I bought a package of Amaranth Flour and opened it up and it smelled like a musty moldy basement. I have bought other mixes from this same company and have had a after taste to the finished product that would have the same flavor. Is Amaranth flour known to have this smell?

Have a great day,

JJ

Unfortunately, that is how Amaranth flour tastes and smells. Some people might not notice as much as others. It's kinda like the difference between rice pasta and corn pasta. You will have supporters on both sides depending on their taste buds. I just made a sugar cookie recipe that called for amaranth flour and they definitely had an aftertaste to them. After I added frosting they were bearable but just barely. I prefer rice, sorghum, tapioca, potato starch and corn flours. They are pretty neutral and don't have that aftertaste. Good Luck!!