Dan T

Where Do I Start

Rate this topic

I am a 45 male who has always had some mild constipation but lately it has been out of control. I have a dad and a nephew with celiac but have no idea if that is what I have. I have gone 80-90% gluten free for a week and the cramps are gone but the constipation is still there. Not sure what to eat or do right now,

my urine is clear and the cat scan revealed nothing.

Dan

If you've already tried the simple strategies of more fiber & fruit/fruit juice (apples, prunes, raisins) you have two options to try to determine celiac:

1) Go back to eating gluten normally, have celiac and nutrient blood work - followed by endoscopy if indicated by either tests or symptoms. If possible have this done by a Gastrenterologist whom wants a celiac case. Gene testing for Celiac is optional - although these don't diagnose Celiac, only indicate that you might develop Celiac - if you don't have the genes it is helpful in ruling out Celiac.

2) Go 100% gluten free to see if your symptoms improve - I'm 44 and it took about 6-8 weeks to show improvement in some symptoms - others symptoms including constipation took longer - but did improve.

Good Luck!

If you've already tried the simple strategies of more fiber & fruit/fruit juice (apples, prunes, raisins) you have two options to try to determine celiac:

1) Go back to eating gluten normally, have celiac and nutrient blood work - followed by endoscopy if indicated by either tests or symptoms. If possible have this done by a Gastrenterologist whom wants a celiac case. Gene testing for Celiac is optional - although these don't diagnose Celiac, only indicate that you might develop Celiac - if you don't have the genes it is helpful in ruling out Celiac.

2) Go 100% gluten free to see if your symptoms improve - I'm 44 and it took about 6-8 weeks to show improvement in some symptoms - others symptoms including constipation took longer - but did improve.

Good Luck!

I am a 45 male who has always had some mild constipation but lately it has been out of control. I have a dad and a nephew with celiac but have no idea if that is what I have. I have gone 80-90% gluten free for a week and the cramps are gone but the constipation is still there. Not sure what to eat or do right now,

my urine is clear and the cat scan revealed nothing.

Dan

Dan:

Enterolab (www.enterolab.com) offers a variety of tests, including a stool test, to identify gluten sensitivity. It also provides genetic testing. All tests are at a reasonable cost and may be

ordered without a doctor's order.

These stool tests are highly sensitive and will tell you if you are gluten intolerant and even if you are genetically predisposed to celiac disease. It is well worth checking out this web site...it is a wealth of information. Also, the stool test is not an invasive test and it is definitive. I just ordered the kit for myself to determine once and for all if I have Celiac Disease and if I carry the genes so I can enlighten my adult kids. Also, you don't have to start back on gluten to have the test done.

Also, The Gluten Connection by Shari Liberman is an excellent book to get you started on the gluten journey. Highly informative...this is where I found out about the lab in TX. Hang in there. I am still battling the symptoms of gluten intolerence after being gluten free for 5 1/2 weeks. I am determined to beat this ordeal. Don't give up...stay gluten free...what do you have to lose?

Dan, constipation was my main motivation to go gluten free. I'm in my late 40s and it was becoming progressively worse. I went mostly gluten free and found that two days in a row of consuming gluten constipated me. Then it was a single day of consumption and I couldn't go for a couple days. Things were going really well after completely stopping gluten and then I found out if I eat legumes a couple days in a row or if I eat too many gluten free starchy things like muffins, cookies, pretzels etc. I start having problems.

I've been suffering from IBS for about 16+ years now. I tried all the traditional recommendations. Fiber was a disaster, no amount water or exercise worked. I have pretty much always eaten well balanced meals with daily fruit and vegetables. My husband has no problem with our diet.

I don't know if I have celiac disease. I do have genes, symptoms and test results that point to it. So I'm gluten free and life is better. Not perfect, but better!

So...you could try eating less starch and no gluten and see if that helps. In my case, the amount of gluten you have been eating would be too much for me to not be constipated.