sandsurfgirl

Environmental Toxins And Celiac

Rate this topic

I've been reading articles about environmental toxins and autoimmune disorders, as well as all the allergies and things people have now. I read that there was a study done on 6000 people to see what chemicals they had in their blood. Nearly all of them had chemicals from plastics and the scary one was teflon coating from nonstick pans!

Has anybody gone chemical free in their house and felt like it made a difference in their celiac and stomache issues?

I just got rid of all my nonstick stuff and replaced it with heavy stainless steel and some cast iron. It cooks so much better anyway! I'm switching over to natural cleaners as things run out. Vinegar and baking soda are great and I already use them sometimes.

I can't find all organic produce, or afford it really, so I'll try my best on that one.

I don't know if it will help my body heal but since I have 2 autoimmune disorders, celiac and hypothyroid, I figure it can't hurt.

I wish I could go completely chemical free because I feel chemicals are bad for everyone. I do use a nonstick pan some of the time. I stick to medium heat or lower as high heat is suppose to produce more toxins. I use mostly natural cleaners except for toilet bowl cleaner. I do not use any plastics for my food. I cover some glass dishes with plastic wrap but don't let it touch the food. I still use plastic bags for storing some things.

In December I was tested for some chemicals through blood work and reacted severely to MSG and formaldehyde, reacted moderately to sodium sulfite and yellow #5 dye and reacted mildly to aspartame, green #3 dye, potassium nitrate, orris root and toluene. There were 21 other chemicals I was tested for that didn't show a reaction. I still try to avoid them.

About a year and a half ago, I was tested for chemical sensitivities and at that time I reacted to sorbic acid, polysorbate 80, brilliant black dye, potassium nitrite, red #1 dye, fluoride, benzene, chlorine and phenol. Sorbic acid, Yellow #5, orris root and toluene showed up both times.