kare101

Face Flushing And Coughing

Rate this topic

Hi everyone...I was just curious whether anybody experiences face flushing or gets a cough from gluten? I've had a chronic cough since I was a kid which has been attributable to nothing, and now that I've been diagnosed with celiac's, I'm wondering if it's related to that, and if it will get better now that I'm on the diet? I also get terrible face flushing with very red cheeks that feel really hot, and sometimes feel feverish at the same time. Never knew why. Now I'm starting to wonder about that also. Would love your feedback.

The coughing was horrible for years. I'm nearing week 8 and still have GI stuff going on but the cough has almost gone away. I get it in the morning once in awhile. I coughed for years and years and they always said allergies and asthma. Nope it was celiac. For serveral years now coughs, sinus infections, allergy symptoms, asthma and bronchitis were my most prevalent and difficult symptoms.

The allergist was confused about me because my allergy tests only came up with a couple of positives and they were very mild. She tested my immune system and it came out strong so she could not figure out what was causing me so much trouble. Now we know!

The coughing was horrible for years. I'm nearing week 8 and still have GI stuff going on but the cough has almost gone away. I get it in the morning once in awhile. I coughed for years and years and they always said allergies and asthma. Nope it was celiac. For serveral years now coughs, sinus infections, allergy symptoms, asthma and bronchitis were my most prevalent and difficult symptoms.

The allergist was confused about me because my allergy tests only came up with a couple of positives and they were very mild. She tested my immune system and it came out strong so she could not figure out what was causing me so much trouble. Now we know!

Thanks so much!! It's really encouraging to think this cough will probably go away! It's always been so annoying. I'm happy for you that yours is almost gone.:) I also have had several sinus infections, and almost every time I get a cold, it goes straight to my chest. I've also had bronchitis many times. I'm just learning about all the problems this can cause. It's amazing. At least we have a way to help ourselves with the diet! Your feedback is once again very helpful. Thanks again! :)

I had chronic bronchitis from childhood and developed asthma a few years before diagnosis. Both are gone now. What you describe sounds like a 'hot flash' which I get when glutened and had what seemed like 20 times a day prediagnosis. If your female and have other odd 'female issues' going on you may want to mention it to your OB/GYN. Celiac can sometimes throw us into an early menapause. It did for me and the doc told me after I was diagnosed not to be surprised if I started getting my period again but it had been too long for me.

I had chronic bronchitis from childhood and developed asthma a few years before diagnosis. Both are gone now. What you describe sounds like a 'hot flash' which I get when glutened and had what seemed like 20 times a day prediagnosis. If your female and have other odd 'female issues' going on you may want to mention it to your OB/GYN. Celiac can sometimes throw us into an early menapause. It did for me and the doc told me after I was diagnosed not to be surprised if I started getting my period again but it had been too long for me.

Thanks for the interesting info. I am a woman, and I will mention this to my ob/gyn. I read in your bio that you had kidney damage. Celiac can cause this? I'm very curious, because recently I've been feeling pain in the area of my kidneys when I'm sick. It's only been a week since I started the diet, so I'm just starting my recovery, and I'm still experiencing it. Should I mention this to my gastroenterologist, and what kind of tests are there to find out if I am actually having trouble with my kidneys?