snapdragon

Can An Abscess Be Related To Coeliac?

Rate this topic

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section, I hope I am!

So, I've yet to be tested, but I've been sitting here thinking about some odd health problems I've had recently and was wondering about this one.

About a year ago, I got an abscess on my back. It had been there for years, I'd been told it was just a cyst, it was like a little hard lump under my skin. Suddenly it got really sore, and turned into an abscess. I was on some hard core antibiotics (which scared me because I was pregnant at the time) and it eventually went away.

Has anyone else had this? :huh:

Funny, I was thinking about this the other day. I've had two infected cysts in the past two years. I guess 3 if you count a burst ovarian cyst last year. Not sure if that falls into the same category. I had one on my upper back that had to be removed and a pilonidal cyst that I treated with hot compresses and then took antibiotics for.

I don't know for sure but my thinking is it's possible. If your immune system is suppressed it would have a hard time fighting off infection. That's my theory anyway. I haven't looked anything up about it though.

Ive had cysts and acne and absesses my whole life. and i just found out i have celiac. im convinced there is a connection.

This is interesting. A year prior to my celiac diagnosis, I developed a ganglion cyst on the palm of my hand (it's still there). 2 years prior to my diagnosis, I developed an abcess around a tooth that had been damaged in an accident many years ago. Not sure if either of these are related to the celiac, but it's entirely possible.

Re: acne -- I'm in my mid-thirties and have never really had acne problems, but my face has been awful lately since I've gone gluten-free. One of the other boards mentioned that salycic acid can cause problems for some people, so I'm going to try switching from the Neutrogena products I've been using (both contain salycic acid) to something else.