lsofhb

Hormone Replacement Therapy & Gluten Sensitivity

Rate this topic

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and just figuring out my gluten sensitivities over the past month via elimination diet(not formally diagnosed - Celiac family). Looking for some insights for others about hormone replacement therapy & celiac.

Here's the scoop....I'm 38 years old, believe I started perimenopause approx 5 years ago and after years of trying to find a doctor to work with me, have been on HRT for the past 2 years(bio-idential progesterone, bio-thyroid and occasional bio-testosterone; estrogen levels are okay). Although I am doing significantly better on HRT than where I started (I'm actually tolerable now!), there were some lingering things that I still wanted to resolve. With Celiac family and suspicions that my 3 year is celiac, I started an elimination diet and have regained significant amounts of energy and mental clarity as well as acne that has mostly cleared up. When I have something with gluten or dairy, I seem to get very grumpy the next day and currently have a line of bug bite like bumps along my side, which I figure is a reaction to what I ate.

So, has anyone been able to stop HRT after getting their diet cleaned up?? If so, how long does it typically take for your body to make its own hormones again and how do you know that you're ready to stop the meds? I would LOVE to stop taking progesterone & thyroid meds everyday and unfortunately it doesn't sound like there are many MDs skilled at both HRT and celiac. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and just figuring out my gluten sensitivities over the past month via elimination diet(not formally diagnosed - Celiac family). Looking for some insights for others about hormone replacement therapy & celiac.

Here's the scoop....I'm 38 years old, believe I started perimenopause approx 5 years ago and after years of trying to find a doctor to work with me, have been on HRT for the past 2 years(bio-idential progesterone, bio-thyroid and occasional bio-testosterone; estrogen levels are okay). Although I am doing significantly better on HRT than where I started (I'm actually tolerable now!), there were some lingering things that I still wanted to resolve. With Celiac family and suspicions that my 3 year is celiac, I started an elimination diet and have regained significant amounts of energy and mental clarity as well as acne that has mostly cleared up. When I have something with gluten or dairy, I seem to get very grumpy the next day and currently have a line of bug bite like bumps along my side, which I figure is a reaction to what I ate.

So, has anyone been able to stop HRT after getting their diet cleaned up?? If so, how long does it typically take for your body to make its own hormones again and how do you know that you're ready to stop the meds? I would LOVE to stop taking progesterone & thyroid meds everyday and unfortunately it doesn't sound like there are many MDs skilled at both HRT and celiac. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!

I have been taking progest( rubing it on) and thyroid medicine at the same time for a year. Personaly I can not imagine going back to not using the progest. As I do not have a thyroid I could never stop taking that meds. After a over a year of using progest if I get sloppy with it and miss a few days I go though two to three weeks of painful pms and it takes a month or two for me to get back on schedule.