Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alevoy18

Left Ribcage Problems

Hi,

For the last few weeks I've been having strange feelings in my left rib cage. When I walked, I would get a stabbing pain. I went to my doctor because it was really bugging me, but the chest X-Ray was normal. Since then the walking discomfort is gone, but my ribcage still looks strange. My fiance pointed out when I was lying down yesterday that my top couple ribs on my left side and really sticking out compared to my left side and that she never has noticed that before. I doubt it is possible for your ribs to move, but I have never noticed it either and I'm a fairly small guy, so I its not the first time I've looked at my ribs in the mirror. The bulge is where the 2nd/3rd ribs from the top connect in the middle of my chest. It is not tender, but just weird looking. I had an ultrasound done a few weeks ago for an unrelated cause and my spleen, liver, etc. were all of normal size. I just don't know why I had that pain for a few weeks and now notice a change in my ribs. Anyways, anybody with any related info is appreciated!!

FYI - I do have Celiac Disease and according to my GI doc, I had it likely most of my life undiagnosed. (24 years old) It still is not in control as I have antibody levels, but it is getting there. I just had a chest X-ray which was good, but I've never had a bone density scan. Didn't know if this could have anything to do with it. Thanks!

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

you're doing the right thing by having your doc check everything (your chest, your organs inc. spleen)..... im not your doc, nor do i have answers- HOWEVER, i can relate to pain the ribs and abdomen, etc.... im a massage therapist (for the time being)-> and not only do i have a ton of pain (muscular & fascia) thruough my trunk from work & postural tension- but i also know that all the ab muscles, and diaphragm & intercostal muscles & fascia- including migrating to the back can cause A TON of pain & discomfort... when i lay down and stretch my back- i TOO think my top ribs are sticking out abnormally- i dont know if i have a rib head out- or if its all the intercostal muscles all jacked up- but yes- i can relate to rib pain

im not sure how much celiac or digestion is linked to these issues- tho, it could be. a lot of people on here including me have had Shortness of Breath, and tightness in the chest related to gluten & other food intolerances- and that may have an effect on the tightness of the diaphragm and other muscles.

as long as everything checks out with your doc, then you probably only have muscular or chiropractic issues left-

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

you're doing the right thing by having your doc check everything (your chest, your organs inc. spleen)..... im not your doc, nor do i have answers- HOWEVER, i can relate to pain the ribs and abdomen, etc.... im a massage therapist (for the time being)-> and not only do i have a ton of pain (muscular & fascia) thruough my trunk from work & postural tension- but i also know that all the ab muscles, and diaphragm & intercostal muscles & fascia- including migrating to the back can cause A TON of pain & discomfort... when i lay down and stretch my back- i TOO think my top ribs are sticking out abnormally- i dont know if i have a rib head out- or if its all the intercostal muscles all jacked up- but yes- i can relate to rib pain

im not sure how much celiac or digestion is linked to these issues- tho, it could be. a lot of people on here including me have had Shortness of Breath, and tightness in the chest related to gluten & other food intolerances- and that may have an effect on the tightness of the diaphragm and other muscles.

as long as everything checks out with your doc, then you probably only have muscular or chiropractic issues left-

This is odd to read this post because I have had rib cage soreness leading up to and after my dx in April. It turns out that I have osteopenia and I kept wondering why the tips of my ribs (lower right side in the back) were tender and sore. Then I find out I had osteopenia. All of my lumbar area was out of whack and sore probably due to the weakness that emerged from the bone loss.

anyway, I am going to my celiac doctor at Columbia today and am going to ask what the deal is with the sore ribs...

why is it odd??? is my "thinking outloud" not coherent???

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

why is it odd??? is my "thinking outloud" not coherent???

not odd at all, just poor choice of words on my part. By odd I meant coincidence. I was just having pain in rib cage and was going to post and saw your post. sorry for the confusion... don't think you are incoherent at all!

Hi,

For the last few weeks I've been having strange feelings in my left rib cage. When I walked, I would get a stabbing pain. I went to my doctor because it was really bugging me, but the chest X-Ray was normal. Since then the walking discomfort is gone, but my ribcage still looks strange. My fiance pointed out when I was lying down yesterday that my top couple ribs on my left side and really sticking out compared to my left side and that she never has noticed that before. I doubt it is possible for your ribs to move, but I have never noticed it either and I'm a fairly small guy, so I its not the first time I've looked at my ribs in the mirror. The bulge is where the 2nd/3rd ribs from the top connect in the middle of my chest. It is not tender, but just weird looking. I had an ultrasound done a few weeks ago for an unrelated cause and my spleen, liver, etc. were all of normal size. I just don't know why I had that pain for a few weeks and now notice a change in my ribs. Anyways, anybody with any related info is appreciated!!

FYI - I do have Celiac Disease and according to my GI doc, I had it likely most of my life undiagnosed. (24 years old) It still is not in control as I have antibody levels, but it is getting there. I just had a chest X-ray which was good, but I've never had a bone density scan. Didn't know if this could have anything to do with it. Thanks!

Thanks.

I haven't read through the rest of the post, only you comment, so this might have been covered, but I am wondering you have ever condidered seeing a chiropractor. Ribs can get out of alignment, because they are attached to your vertebrae. Just a thought. I know people have very differing thoughts about chirpractors. I couldn't like without mine.

not odd at all, just poor choice of words on my part. By odd I meant coincidence. I was just having pain in rib cage and was going to post and saw your post. sorry for the confusion... don't think you are incoherent at all!

ahhhhh ok :D sorry, i can be oversensitive/paranoid sometimes... maybe too much brain damage from gluten :huh:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH