Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coultog

Awaiting Test Results

For a number of years I have been having "D", which I did pretty much every day. I noticed that some foods caused a terrible reaction and within an hour of eating them I would need the loo.

I did some research online and realised it could be Celiac disease. I went to my doctor to have some blood tests.. They explained they were going to do five tests and if they all come back negative, it will probably be Celiac. This week I went for a follow on celiac blood test and am awaiting the results. I was that confident that my problems relate to gluten I have tried to cut it out of my diet since Tuesday this week.

Since then, my body is feeling a little less tender after food and I didn't wake up this morning dashing to the loo. I am physically feeling some difference. Irrespective of the test results, I definitely believe there is some benefit in me staying gluten free.

Today or tomorrow, I'm going to buy some more gluten free foods...

Do any of your have any top tips to help with this transition?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

you should limit your gluten free treats... (ie: cookies, cereals, muffins, cakes, breads).. and try to mostly stick to naturally gluten free foods at least for a little while

you should avoid or limit dairy for a little while

it might not hurt you at all to eat the above- but you'll probably feel better faster if you limit/avoid them

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Cass has good advice.

I'll add that it is easy to think "Oh, a little cross contamination won't hurt ME." Wrong. I didn't start really feeling better until 3 months into the diet when I started getting very proactive about cross contamination. I found that reading everything from this site and medical articles helped me the most.

Always have food in your purse, desk, car, briefcase. It helps you resist the combination of hunger and food that might be safe if it wasn't cross contaminated.

Avoid processed foods. Many of us have problems with certain ingredients (either the foods themselves or the preservatives they add). You will likely feel better sooner and having avoided the processed foods will help you figure out what your other food triggers are when you add them back slowly in 6 months or so.

I cook my dinners with an extra 50% added ingredients so that I can eat them for lunch in the next day or two. Many of us cook meals double sized and freeze 1/2 for the following week.

Keep reading and keep posting. Welcome.