HopefulMama23

5 Weeks gluten-free/cf: Observations

Rate this topic

Hey experts!

I'm 5 weeks gluten and dairy free as of yesterday. Here are some of my observations:

My D has pretty much stopped. It was daily pre-diet change. My stool is still very soft, which does concern me a little.

I have not had ANY abdominal cramping since I changed my diet. Not once.

I have gained 3 pounds. It's hard to celebrate this one, but I take it as a sign that I'm absorbing some nutrients again.

My hair stopped falling out and I can see some growing back in (although this is AGONIZINGLY slow process).

I am constantly exhausted. This one concerns me- for about a week after I stopped eating gluten my energy shot up, but since then I am soo tired. I sleep about 9-10 hours a night and I'm still tired by the early afternoon everyday. I tell myself this is becuase I am healing, but I wish I had more energy.

I can concentrate better and I feel like my IQ is about 20 points higher. I'm embarrassed about some of the dumb mistakes I made at work when I was at my sickest.

The change itself has gotten a lot easier- I am learning what to cook and what to buy at the grocery store and I don't feel nearly as overwhelmed. I'm also touched by how many people are aware of this condition and have a friend/relative/spouse/kid who can't have gluten. There are a lot of great resources and people out there (including all of you!).

I'm happier and more optimistic- at my sickest I was very, very depressed, even had suicidal thoughts. I feel MUCH more hopeful that my health and outlook are improving.

:)

It sounds like your doing great and healing well. Hopefully the energy levels will improve soon. If you not already taking them get some good gluten free vitamins, Stress levels of B and C as well as D3 and a sublingual B12 may help with the energy issues.

It sounds like your doing great and healing well. Hopefully the energy levels will improve soon. If you not already taking them get some good gluten free vitamins, Stress levels of B and C as well as D3 and a sublingual B12 may help with the energy issues.

Thank you! I am feeling a lot better. Do people find probiotics or digestive enzymes helpful in healing?