This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Many Have Done The Gluten Challenged And

ferb

ferb Newbie

I realize that these results may be skewed since this is a celiac forum and most of the people have here have stuck around because they have some kind of gluten sensitivity. I

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissyinnj Apprentice

Could be tied to a different food. Perhaps you could start a food diary and see if there is a certain type of food you eat before your symptoms appear. or do an elimination diet.

love2travel Mentor

I realize that these results may be skewed since this is a celiac forum and most of the people have here have stuck around because they have some kind of gluten sensitivity. I

Darn210 Enthusiast

I've had mild joint pain for a while. Summers seem to be worse . . . is it the weather or is it because I'm more active (yard work?) My daugher has Celiac. I was tested and it came out negative. I did a 6 month gluten free trial diet and noticed no difference. I went back on gluten and noticed no difference.

I know nightshades can be behind joint pain but I have not tried eliminating those . . . yet. (I find that more difficult than gluten free :ph34r: )

October3 Explorer

I have been on and off gluten 2 or 3 different times and not noticed any difference. I have some mild IBS-type symptoms and also episodic joint pain and I think for me milk and possibly soy is a bigger trigger than gluten.

My son, who has moderately elevated tTG with negative scope, had no obvious change when we eliminated gluten for 2 months and then put it back in, and no change at all on his iron levels which was where we were hoping to see a difference. But he is only 6 and I'm not sure he knows what to report to us. He's made some comments about having tummy aches in the mornings and feeling like he's going to throw up and he thinks everyone feels that way every morning. So he doesn't think to tell me. So I can't be sure there was really no change for him. I think we may need to try again when he's a bit older if we can't figure it out through lab tests.

My other son has no antibodies to gluten but seemed to improve with his stools (less gassiness, fewer floaties) off gluten. Now that he's been back on for almost 3 weeks things remain good. So my theory is that it might have been more of a yeast issue fed by gluten than gluten itself.

ferb Newbie

OK, thanks for the feedback. It is good to know that there are some people who don't seem to be affected either way by gluten. I will give this gluten-free diet a shot, then start eating it again and see if I notice any change. If not, I guess I will move on and try eliminating something else from my diet... dairy, nightshades, or soy maybe.

How long should I stick with the gluten-free diet before doing the "challenge?" 4 weeks? 6 weeks?

curlyfries Contributor

My adult daughter went gluten free for a while, but eventually started cheating. When she didn't notice a difference, she went back on gluten. A couple of years later symptoms returned and she is now gluten free again and feeling good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marz Enthusiast

Yup, symptoms can take a while to reappear - when you're doing the gluten challenge, eat at least three meals with gluten in it, for a week or longer. And make sure you've been properly off gluten for at least a month before you do so - your body can take a while to heal, and if you don't give yourself long enough, you may not notice a difference in the challenge.

When I did my challenge, I didn't get the stomach pain/massive d symptoms I expected, I was just getting this very weird anxiety/freaked out feeling. The D and pain only started a few days in.

Best of luck :)

cahill Collaborator

OK, thanks for the feedback. It is good to know that there are some people who don't seem to be affected either way by gluten. I will give this gluten-free diet a shot, then start eating it again and see if I notice any change. If not, I guess I will move on and try eliminating something else from my diet... dairy, nightshades, or soy maybe.

How long should I stick with the gluten-free diet before doing the "challenge?" 4 weeks? 6 weeks?

I would suggest at least 8 weeks gluten free before doing a challenge. If you have withdraw symptoms it can take 6 to 8 weeks for the withdraw to end.

For me soy is as much of an issue ,,if not more,, as gluten. I have digestive issues with gluten but major neurological issues with soy.

Archived