This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What I Miss Most.

CRashster

CRashster Newbie

Let's have some fun. We all have given up some food that we love. I think if we talk about it, instead of just being angry, it will make us all feel better. From looking at the other threads, it seems like pizza is well loved by most people here. But there is something that I have been craving lately. I was reaching in the cabinet for something, I think peanut butter, when my hand pulled out a can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli. For some reason, I have been craving it ever since. The little pasta pillows filled with that gooey meat stuff and that weird sweet tasting Boyardee sauce. Pure comfort food. Hard to get my mind off of it this week. What are you guys craving? What do you miss?

CRash

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gluten Free Traveller Newbie

What I miss most is being able to nibble the samples which grocery stores hand out! That and having a bite of eating whatever my dining buddy is eating when we go out to eat :)

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Well, what I miss most is not being able to go to NOLA and eat whatever the heck I want. Now, I can cook anything Cajun or Creole at home gluten-free (except some Antoine's stuff, etc., and King Cake gluten-free terrifies me) and convert family recipes just fine...but not being able to eat my way through NOLA makes me ache.

The thought of passing up proper French bread po'boys honestly makes me want to weep.

So far that's the only thing that gets me.

Roda Rising Star

For almost 3 years it has been nobake cookies aka novaks. I can't have them because I react to certified gluten free oats. They used to be my all time favorite cookie.

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

Diner French fries! Those suckers must be fried in more gluten than oil, the way I react to em.

desert rose Newbie

Let's have some fun. We all have given up some food that we love. I think if we talk about it, instead of just being angry, it will make us all feel better. From looking at the other threads, it seems like pizza is well loved by most people here. But there is something that I have been craving lately. I was reaching in the cabinet for something, I think peanut butter, when my hand pulled out a can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli. For some reason, I have been craving it ever since. The little pasta pillows filled with that gooey meat stuff and that weird sweet tasting Boyardee sauce. Pure comfort food. Hard to get my mind off of it this week. What are you guys craving? What do you miss?

CRash

Subway!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AVR1962 Collaborator

I miss be able to go to a restaurant and pick anything on the menu I want without having to think what is in it or how it is cooked, stopping by Cinnabon to pick up cinnamon rolls for breakfast, munching on a piece of pizza with my teen daughter, being able to have tortillas without making them myself, and my night time snacks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

domesticactivist Collaborator

Tin roof sundae ice cream.

Juliebove Rising Star

It isn't any one particular food. I just miss the freedom of being able to go out to eat without researching what might be in my food. Or grabbing something at the grocery store and just eating it without having to check and recheck the label.

cait Apprentice

Days when the school provides lunch for staff. Being able to eat with friends without feeling like an ass%$@# or worrying about CC.

Duhlina Apprentice

Dogfishead Punkin' Ale. Oh my....how I miss that. Pizza, homemade bread, fried calamari from my favorite Italian restaurant and fried chicken from my favorite southern foods restaurant. <sigh>

But I FEEL better NOT eating them, so all is not totally lost!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I don't really miss any food. I just miss the convienence of being able to go out and pick something up. Who wants to start a 100% gluten-free fast food restuarant chain with me? :)

NorthernElf Enthusiast

Red licorice.

Coleslawcat Contributor

I miss having a carefree attitude toward food. Just being able to grab anything and try it without worrying about ingredients and cross contamination.

zus888 Contributor

I miss:

Warm soft dinner rolls (especially the ones from Golden Corral)

Homemade bread

Homemade cinnamon rolls (I just found the perfect recipe and made The Most Awesome Cinnamon Rolls Ever last Christmas and then was told I had celiac)

Making all my favorite holiday cookies (I'm not sure I can reproduce some of them)

Did I mention warm soft dinner rolls? Ugh.

When I think about binging, I think about those stupid dinner rolls.

love2travel Mentor

I can replicate most things from scratch (cookies and cakes are easy) but some still elude me including profiteroles, eclairs, yeast doughnuts, bagels, English muffins and really great chewy bread especially. Very good puff pastry and phyllo pastry are now a distant sad memory. Beef Wellington just isn't the same! I miss spontaneity and not having to plan out every morsel that goes into my mouth (especially social situations and restaurants). Another thing I really miss is attending fabulous food fairs in Europe - now they unfortunately are no longer our focus and we must walk on by most of them. Same with the superb Italian charred pizza crust. I can make good pizza crust but it will never be like pizza in Italy. :(

bartfull Rising Star

Bread. Homemade bread. Warm, fresh out of the oven. Soft on the inside, crusty on the outside, with an aroma that makes you feel like you've died and gone to heaven. Melted butter slathered on so thickly it almost drips when you eat it.

I'd better stop now or I'm going to cry...

PainfulSpaghetti Newbie

I miss the ease of making a sandwich. The thrill of fresh baked bread. An ice cold beer. Cinnamon buns ice cream. Ritz crackers. Graham crackers with peanut butter and bananas. Pie. cake. Cupcakes. But most of all, I miss pasta.

Menic Apprentice

Guinness

love2travel Mentor

I miss the ease of making a sandwich. The thrill of fresh baked bread. An ice cold beer. Cinnamon buns ice cream. Ritz crackers. Graham crackers with peanut butter and bananas. Pie. cake. Cupcakes. But most of all, I miss pasta.

I just KNEW there was something obvious I was missing when I was typing above - PASTA!!!! Fresh, homemade fabulous durum pasta. I'm making my own gluten-free pasta but it is just not the same. :( I stick fresh herbs between sheets and roll out, creating lovely patterns and flavour to try to make up for the missing gluten.

FYI cakes and cupcakes are really easy to make gluten-free. People cannot tell they are gluten-free. I have all sorts of recipes if you are so inclined. :)

lynnelise Apprentice

Basically phyllo dough and croissants. I can make anything else taste decent gluten free. Those are just pretty much impossible to duplicate.

With time most of my cravings have gone away. In fact I went to Logan's today for lunch and barely noticed the rolls I used to love so much. Everyone around me had one and I honestly didn't care...not even a little.

alex11602 Collaborator

I think the thing that I miss most now would be a good bread and dipping oil. I miss lasagna but that's more because I can't have enough cheese in it yet to make it really good.

love2travel Mentor

I think the thing that I miss most now would be a good bread and dipping oil. I miss lasagna but that's more because I can't have enough cheese in it yet to make it really good.

I believe I posted a recipe or two on here for focaccia that begs to be dipped in oil! But I would love a great ciabatta bread to dip. Now THAT would be a miracle to make gluten-free.

alex11602 Collaborator

I believe I posted a recipe or two on here for focaccia that begs to be dipped in oil! But I would love a great ciabatta bread to dip. Now THAT would be a miracle to make gluten-free.

I think I remember seeing that and it sounded very good, but if I remember correctly it had yeast in it. Things with yeast starting bothering my youngest so we just kind of gave up on the bread.

love2travel Mentor

I think I remember seeing that and it sounded very good, but if I remember correctly it had yeast in it. Things with yeast starting bothering my youngest so we just kind of gave up on the bread.

Oh, shoot. Sorry! :(

Archived