This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

7 Year Old Has Two +Ve Blood Tests

The Horticulturalist

The Horticulturalist Apprentice

I'm reposting this from further down the page, I added it onto the end of another thread a few days ago but it seems to have been missed. Please read the short thread here first to get the backstory, thanks! :)

Skylark and the rest of the forum, here is an update to the story above.

Short version, my son has long standing nut allergies, I decided to see an allergy Dr in a nearby town about it, really just for some advice.

While there I asked if he would repeat the Celiac panel and include EMA, DGP and repeat the others.Plus the genetic work.

He called my pediatrician who ordered the first lot (Ttg and IgA only - a weak +ve on the Ttg) and then he was very amenable to having his nurse order the bloodwork, he even got the book out with the order codes to make sure that they could get all the tests I wanted.

They sent them to Prometheus - is that regarded as a good lab, I figured it was? No reference range was given for the EMA, it just said "positive" under the results list and had "negative" under the reference range

Here are the results:

Summary Interpretation

Results support a diagnosis of celiac disease

Serological markers for celiac disease detected

RESULTS REFERENCE RANGE

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide Antibody, IgG (DGP IgG) 1.6EU/ml - <4.9EU/ml

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide Antibody IgA (DGP IgA) 2.6EU/ml - <2.6EU/ml

Anti-Human Tissue Tansglutaminase IgA ELISA (TTG IGA) 13.0U/ml + <10.3 U/ml

Anti-Endomysial IgA IFA (EMA) Positive +

Total Serum IGA by Nephelometry (TOTAL IgA) 173mg/dl

Celiac Risk Genes Detected:

DQ8 (HLA DQA1 *03 DQB1 *0302) and other non risk aleles

relative risk MODERATE (I have the same gene)

Still reeling a little from the this, trying to get through to UofChicago Celiac Hotline and speak to the lady there that helped me.

Folks, his symptoms were so mild to almost non existent that I really didn't think they would show up anything, in my head I was simply ruling it out.We have no family history of celiac, but on my father's side there are numerous relatives with general GI problems, one with bowel cancer and two with Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Any ideas on the sharp jump in only a matter of weeks between the two Ttg tests? Do you think the lab makes a difference? He had been eating gluten all the time, perhaps some weeks less than others though.

I am waiting to get an appointment with this group in Atlanta, perhaps as early as Friday next week. they came highly recommended from the R.O.C.K. group person that I emailed with.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I am so glad that you followed through and got a definitive answer. on the blood work. Yes, Prometheus is considered to be a reliable lab. The development of celiac can be a continuum, with antibodies (and villous damage) increasing with time and continued gluten consumption. This is why it is important to catch it early. Good luck with the Atlanta appointment :)

T.H. Community Regular

Kudos on double checking on this! One of those tests is very celiac specific - it's really good you caught it early.

One thing to know, now, although the center will likely tell you the same: you probably want to test everyone now. You and your spouse, and any other children. If one person is a celiac in the family, everyone 1 degree separate (parents, children, and siblings) jumps from 1 in 133 category to 1 in 22 category, in terms of having the disease. It's recommended to test everyone.

We did that and found out we didn't have 1, but 4 celiacs in the family, so I'm always pro-blood testing now when it pops up in the family.

Kudos on double checking on this! One of those tests is very celiac specific - it's really good you caught it early.

One thing to know, now, although the center will likely tell you the same: you probably want to test everyone now. You and your spouse, and any other children. If one person is a celiac in the family, everyone 1 degree separate (parents, children, and siblings) jumps from 1 in 133 category to 1 in 22 category, in terms of having the disease. It's recommended to test everyone.

We did that and found out we didn't have 1, but 4 celiacs in the family, so I'm always pro-blood testing now when it pops up in the family.

We have one other son, and of course my husband to be tested. I'm sure the insurance company will not cover it until we have the definite diagnosis via endoscopy, so we'll pursue it after we get those results.

T.H. Just out of interest, how many of the celiacs in your family had significant symptoms?

M0Mto3 Rookie

My LO goes for her second set of bloodwork on Monday. She had a negative tTG a few months ago. She is only 15 months, so she probably won't have a positive tTG. I am really praying for a positive result, since we have been struggling with her for a long time. Me and her ped are 100% convinced that is what is going on. I am hoping the GI doc can confirm this for us. So, I can understand your surprise and how it throws your world off to have it come out of left field, but it is so wonderful that you caught it now. My LO has been struggling with failure to thrive for the last 11 months and I just want a positive diagnosis and put this all behind me. Please keep us posted on the endoscopy results and I am interested to hear if you have any trouble getting the rest of your family tested.

We are in Atlanta (came from MS) for consultation today with Dr Jeffrey Lewis of the Children's Center for Digestive Health in Atlanta, he was recommended by the Atlanta area celiac support group.

He was VERY thorough in going through all the details with me. He told me where they would take biopsies from, and he said that he had a very experienced pathologist who uses the Marsh criteria. We go in Monday for the endoscopy, we get the biopsy results back the following day so I will report back then. :)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

TT24
    Newest Member
    TT24
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B  
    • Scott Adams
      It sounds like you've been through a lot with your son's health journey, and it's understandable that you're seeking answers and solutions. Given the complexity of his symptoms and medical history, it might be beneficial to explore a few avenues: Encourage your son to keep a detailed journal of his symptoms, including when they occur, their severity, any triggers or patterns, and how they impact his daily life. This information can be valuable during medical consultations and may help identify correlations or trends. Consider seeking opinions from specialized medical centers or academic hospitals that have multidisciplinary teams specializing in gastrointestinal disorders, especially those related to Celiac disease and Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE). These centers often have experts who deal with complex cases and can offer a comprehensive evaluation. Since you've already explored alternative medicine with a nutrition response doctor and a gut detox diet, you may want to consider consulting a functional medicine practitioner. They take a holistic approach to health, looking at underlying causes and imbalances that may contribute to symptoms. Given his low vitamin D levels and other nutritional markers, a thorough nutritional assessment by a registered dietitian or nutritionist specializing in gastrointestinal health could provide insights into any deficiencies or dietary adjustments that might help alleviate symptoms. In addition to routine tests, consider asking about more specialized tests that may not be part of standard screenings. These could include comprehensive stool analyses, food intolerance testing, allergy panels, or advanced imaging studies to assess gut health.